rookie remote starter on 2005 civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nomaxtech 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2010 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everyone,

I bought my girlfriend a remote starter for Christmas and decided I would attempt the install myself. I'm generally pretty good with electronics and wiring and didn't see much of a challenge. I found a wiring diagram on here and went to work. Everything went very smoothly. The remote starter works likes a charm except for one issue.

The remote starter will engage the starter but the car will not start...UNLESS there is a key in the ignition. The key doesn't have to be turned to on or anything, it just has to be in there. After doing hours and hours of research I found some information about transponders and bypass modules and stuff like that. I mostly understand what's going on and why but I have a few questions if there are any experts out there willing to help.

First, does a 2005 Honda Civic need one of these modules? As far as my research has taken me, the answer looks like a yes.

Second, I read somewhere that I would have to put a spare key in the bypass module so it could fake the signal. Is that true? That sounds a bit ridiculous.

Third, how difficult is it to install one of these bypass modules? As far as encrypted keys and modules and data buses and car computers go, I don't want to permanantly disable the car.

And last, what's a good price for one of these modules? I called a local store and they quoted me at about $50 for the module.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you can include details that would be most excellent. Thanks in advance for your help!

x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2010 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
The easiest module for you would be the directed 556u.
Yes, you put a key inside the bypass mod and tuck it up somewhere.
There are only 3 connections on the module to make: status, power, and ground.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2010 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
X2 with x1le!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2010 at 4:05 PM / IP Logged  

everyone has a preferance when it comes to bypass modules. I like ot use Fortin pieces. The HONDA-SL3 is 30bucks canadian, so 25 or so usd

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2010 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
Note his heading Ted the first word is the clue! Hence the recommendation!rookie remote starter on 2005 civic -- posted image.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
To the Terrible Twins, can I join the Southern version, it's 0f here and I can't get any deliveries!
Methinks this one is going to run and run and we still haven't come to factory alarm disable or clutch switches if manual.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

ahah howie, are we both that bad? lol

well to the OP, the bypass connections vary from manufactures. The Fortin will require 6 wire connections (ignition, security led, power, ground, ground when running, data)

The 556u will definitly be the easiest (3 wire hookup) buy you have to sacrifice a key. For the price differance which is minimal, stick to a data type bypass. I found it to be better than key in box during colder temps.

i have a feeling we are dealing with an auto. as far as FAD, lets hope it was run, since on this gen civic, the door lock and disarm/arm wires are convienantly located next to each other @ the micu.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
nomaxtech 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 8:55 PM / IP Logged  
tedmond, thanks for the info. I'd think I'd rather go with the data type you mentioned instead of giving up a key. This particular Civic is pretty bare bones. No factory alarm, no power door locks or windows, not even cruise control. I figured it would be decently easy because of this.
I can use Google just as well as anybody else but just for the heck of it, where would you recommend I purchase the module?
Everything but the security led and data seem self-explanitory. Are there human-readable install instructions that come with the module? ...or, if you're willing, could you help me through it? I know what it's like to do tech support because I'm an IT Admin so I promise not to be an annoying and clueless noob. I catch on lightning quick and know that if I do it once, it will stick.
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2010 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
See if you can find a PKH3. Very inexpensive module I used to like to use on Honda's and very few wires to hook up. If you can read, its hard to screw up. Download the manual at bypasskit.com first. Sorry, no recommendations on where to buy one.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2010 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  
Actually Ted you and your twin t&t are both THAT GOOD!
I have pet names for the people I like, and I thought Terrible Twins was nicer than Dynamic Duo! You're both fast learners, help others so nothing but praise! I should be Grumpy old Man, but Chris Wallace prefers Bad Cop!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic