icon

fog lights on with hi/low, not w/ parking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ace_boy2099 
Copper - Posts: 81
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2010 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  

Sorry if this is on here somewhere but out of all the threads I checked the closest thing I found was a closed topic for a mitsubishi that didn't have how they got the desired features just "Check the underhood fuse box".

I have a 99 F-150 that didn't' come with foglights and I am planning on adding them and I saw on another site something about wiring a relay so that the fogs come on with the lowbeams and stay on with the high beams but not have anything to do with corner/turn lamps.

What was said on the other site is I could wire the relay like this to get my desired feature. How does this sound to you, Would it work?

30 - Switched power
85 - low beams wire from headlight plug
86 - hi beams wire from headlight plug
87 - to Fog Lights +

Would this send feedback to my dash and mess up my lights or would this work the way I am immagining it? also, would the fogs flash with the momentarily switch of hi to low and vice-versa ?

Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

you could also use the RED / yellow that connects the headlight switch to the high/low dimmer switch.  connect that to term 86, ground term 85.

m

ace_boy2099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
Ween wrote:

hi,

you could also use the RED / yellow that connects the headlight switch to the high/low dimmer switch.  connect that to term 86, ground term 85.

m

Oh, Cool, Thanks for the info. I will have to look into that.

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM / IP Logged  
You cannot have common polarity on both sides of a relay, the coil will not energize! using the same setup you described and assuming the polarity being switched is positive, wire just as you have it above, but ground 85 and diode hi/low beam outputs to terminal 86, band toward relay!
JW.ORG.
COMMIT YOUR WAY TO JEHOVAH AND HE WILL ACT IN YOUR BEHALF.
PSALMS 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  
There are two similar posts here showing the "double" relay required.
Rather than single pole changeover, it's a double pole and you will need another "normal" relay to power the feed.
ace_boy2099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
as long as it works, Wouldn't Ween's idea be the easiest and not need 2 relays? I plan on putting HIDs in the fog housings anyway so I only need the plug for a signal to trip the ballasts, from there the power comes directly from the battery.
ace_boy2099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, Update for all of you along with another question.

I have the foglights in my truck and have it working like stock. I went to do a mod where the lights come on with the parking lights which intails jumping the parking light wire to the ground wire (BLACK/ white below)  of the fogs but when i did that and I armed my alarm it flashed my HID Headlights, When I saw that I undid the mod and I'm now looking for how I can wire the vehicle so that I can have the foglights come on with the parking lights but not flash with the alarm. I have an extra relay laying around if i need it but I would like to try and keep it as clean as possable and only use 1 relay.

If I do have to use 2 relays would this work or is this not set right???? If it isn't set right please tell me what I need to do to have it work the way I would like.

[URL=https://img215.imageshack.us/i/eugenenonflashfogcustom.jpg/][IMG]https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7117/eugenenonflashfogcustom.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
If you have sugestions for changes please refer to them as "Change R1p30 from battery to radio fuse" so that I can figure it out. Thanks for any help you can provide.

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

I don't understand all of you post, you mentioned, the fog lights come on with the parking lights, but the headlights blink with the parking light on arming the alarm! Am i right? That's three different sets of lights! Not sure if i read you properly!

JW.ORG.
ace_boy2099 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2010 at 11:38 AM / IP Logged  
t&t tech wrote:

I don't understand all of you post, you mentioned, the fog lights come on with the parking lights, but the headlights blink with the parking light on arming the alarm! Am i right? That's three different sets of lights! Not sure if i read you properly!

I would like the fog lights to  come on with the parking lights. There is a mod for my truck where you can jump the brown wire(parking +) and the BLACK/ white(all round -) wire at the headlight switch to get that result, but when I did that and armed my alarm it not only flashed the parking lights but the headlights too. When I saw that I undid the mod (took out the jumping wire) But I would like to have the fog lights that I am installing to be able to come on with the Parking lights, However, I don't wnat the fogs to flash with the parking once I get the HIS in them when I arm my alarm..

t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

Oh! here's a way

Using a single pole double throw relay wire like this

Cut the parking light feed of the alarm and insert the three amp diodes bands away from alarm, connect one side to the original parking light connection in car (assuming here it's positive), and connect the other side to pin 86 on the relay

Pin 85- Ground

Cut either the positive or negative feed of both fog lights (doesn't matter)

pin 30 - Connect one side of the severed lead here

Pin 87a- connect the other side here!

This way they won't turn on with the alarm, but will however else they are turned on!

JW.ORG.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic