icon

big 12 volt power issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gl35 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2010 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  
OK, so I need some help if anyone could please enlighten me. I am attempting to install a two amplifier system in my Infiniti G35 Coupe.
OK, so far I have 2 gauge wire running back to my Kinetik 600khc battery in the trunk. But if I don't drive the car for 24 hours or so the battery(s) is too drained to start the next day. Do I need a battery isolator?
I am running 2 JL Audio amps. 1 250/1 and 1 300/4. Another thing about these, I have blown almost every interior speaker already... I think I may be overpowering them. It doesn't seem like they are getting to much power but, the proof is in the pudding. I have fried several voice coils at this point. There are six speakers and I wanted to run all six on this four channel amp. I was going to add some tweeters up front to give a 2 ohm load to all four channels, thus creating 8 speakers (some are components but lets not split hairs). I am so frustrated at this point. I have spent way to much money to back out now, and also have trashed the old speakers anyway.
If anyone has any thoughts I am willing to listen.
Thank you in advance for your time.
G 35 Driver
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  
DId you recently install an alarm with starter kill?
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
i've had cap's drain my battery's also but not overnight!! .. is there a battery up front and then also a battery in the trunk?? hence the isolator?? if it's a two batt system one may be fubar'd and the good one keep's tryin to charge the bad one.
incognyto 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
also maybe bad ground's??? big three upgrade is another option!!... I also have the 300/4 but the 500/1 instead of the 250/1.. and I just aquired another 500/1, my brother gave me a used redtop battery so I through that in the trunk I can still get the light's dimming with two batt's and the stock 70 amp alternator. hope you find your problem!!
gl35 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
no
G 35 Driver
gl35 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
I am running a POWER AND GROUND, both 2 gauge to the trunk (that is what Kinetik tech support said to do, I know sounds crazy). I never heard of it before either.
I don't believe I have any ground problems.
It is a 2007 G 35. It has a stock 110 amp alternator. I want upgraded one of the BIG 3. I added a 4 gauge (cable from Pep Boys) ground to the engine block from the main battery, there was just a puny 6 gauge wire going from the main battery to the side of the car, not exactly the best ground I ever saw. I am hesitant to run another 4 or 2 gauge to the alternator, cause it is so frackin far down in the engine compartment, and hard to get to...
Help!
G 35 Driver
gl35 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
Also, should I NOT be doubling up the speakers on channels to the amp?
G 35 Driver
jeremytravis 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
Well is your battery isolator connected right and do you have the right batteries? Do you have a main starter battery and a deep cycle battery? It sounds like your equipment is mismatched you really need to pay attention to all the specs.
**advanced mecp certified
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
gl35 wrote:
Do I need a battery isolator?
jeremytravis wrote:
Well is your battery isolator connected right and do you have the right batteries?
...but I never pay attention to what people are typing... ...it gets in the way of my head. (Must be a BOOK cert...)
He's asking if he should GET an isolator.
My response is no. My response is his, though:
MATCH THE BATTERIES! One in front, and one in back. Wired in parallel. Your batteries being mismatched is causing the parasitics between them to try to keep each other charged, with your exact situation being the result. Multiple battery installations work perfectly fine, as long as the batteries chosen are the same type, technology, capacity, and age. You'll also be replacing two of them at the same time for the rest of your life. You should have upgraded your alternator instead of adding that battery and cap.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
Does the 250/1 have a signal sensing option like the 500/1?  If so, is signal sensing turned on?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic