icon

dei528t relay w/ hid kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
viperspike 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2010 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
I am installing an HID kit on a 06 GSXR 1000 Motorcycle, and am trying to install a delay from initial power on, to firing of the HID.
I have hard wired the positive wire from the batt to the HID ballast, and am using the existing +12v headlight power wire to signal a relay which provides a ground signal for the HID ballast
I ordered a DEI528 relay to achieve a delayed signal to the grounding relay. However it seems that I will have to use the normally closed wires on the 528T to keep the ground relay actuated once the delay has passed.
Question #1 will power make it through the normally closed contacts and actuate the grounding relay before the 528T can actuate open (delay mode)?
Question #2-if power will make it past the 528T and actuate the ground relay before it can open, how do I delay the grounding relay actuation (if possible)
Thanks in advance for your help with this :) - Shawn
(sorry for the bad diagram) dei528t relay w/ hid kit -- posted image.
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  
I wired up a relay circuit with my HID lights so that the lights remain off until after I crank the bike and start it up, so I don't need a fixed delay. It uses the starter motor as the control trigger input. You might consider that option if you don't have to do it with the timer.
viperspike 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
I already have the one grounding relay installed, and recently purchased the 528t Relay, so if I can use the 528T in series I would like to.
What wire did you find that is +12v only after engine start? Thanks, Shawn
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2010 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
It's not a wire on the bike that is 12V after start, instead it's a relay circuit that uses the starter motor input to provide power to the HIDs only after the starter is cranked and released. If the ignition is switched on, the lights stay off until after you crank the bike and release the starter button. The lights stay off while cranking to maximize power for the starter.
It uses two relays, and the starter motor is used as a virtual ground for the relay when the starter button is released.
I'll see if I can dig up the diagram if you're interested- -
viperspike 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
yes please :)
Thanks, Shawn
dualsport 
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
dei528t relay w/ hid kit -- posted image.
You just need four connections with this circuit, you'll use it to interrupt the power to the HID lights shown at the green and orange markers, and connect to your starter motor at the pink marker, and ground at the black marker.
The starter motor pulse when you push the start button energizes the upper relay in latching configuration (this can be just a small relay).
When you release the starter, the pink marker immediately becomes a ground, and provides the 12V differential across the coil on the bottom relay to switch it on.
Note it's the bottom relay that needs to be large enough to handle whatever you're switching. I have it controlling all the lighting on the bike, along with the HID headlights.
When you switch off the bike, the power is cut off from the green marker, and the relays open up, and you're back where you started.
I have another modification to it that adds an extra delay after the starter button is released before switching on the headlights, in the event your bike isn't running well enough to start on the first crank. Mine starts on the first crank cycle so I haven't bothered changing it yet.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
The other way is charge sensing and that is easy if the system has a charge light.
And the circuit above is so close to a single-relay latching circuit (where a standard SPST relay keeps itself energised) except that the relay energises AFTER cranking - and that needs an extra relay.
(IE - if charge activated, it is only one relay. For loads to remain on after stalling - like PCs etc - latching is easy to add.)
viperspike 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
does anyone know if my original diagram will work correctly, or should I go in the direction suggested? - Thanks, Shawn
viperspike 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  
What if I put a 470uf cap in parallel across the coil of the relay connected to the HID ballast? would that create a short delay in it's turn on, or do I need a capacitor and resistor? - Thanks - Shawn
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Only after a resistor - see the delay examples under relays. (That's for plan relays...)
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic