the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, Viper 5902

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  

dereileak, please do not create a new topic for each part of this installation. https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp~TID~1725

Thanks in advance.

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan, Viper 5902 - Page 4 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
dereileak 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
My issue is I have found a wiring diagram for my 99 dodge grand caravan on both bulldogsecurity and this site, but both has small differences in them, is there another one that I can use? anyone have access to official directed wiring diagrams? also do I need to hook up ignition 2 flexed relay wire? whats flexed mean? some people act like they are not needed, also for the parking fuse in the 5902, you can either go negative or positive, do I just match that to which route I go with hooking it up, either the positive parking wire, or negative parking wire? I am really excited to install this, if it wasnt for this site I would have probably not even tried it, as for the instructions, the 3 pin door lock says its just a 500ma unlock wire, and ones a 500ma lock wire, I am thinking then I have to put relays for the locking to work with my car, because it says it needs then if they are not built into the module, the part that starts confusing me is seeing all these wires I have to connect where there is no place on my car to do so, like the status output? starter output which is just a 200ma one, unlike the full starter input and output, anyone have any advice? thanks for all the help for everyone that has helped me too
Viper 5902 - Ordered
Kicker Dual CVX 15's - Installed
Kicker ZX 1500.1 Amp - Installed
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  
I think what I have figured out is if the thing on the viper install says its a limited output like 200 ma, then it needs to be relayed for the car, because some of the car things is saying it needs a relay for it to work, but the viper alarm acts like it is only reading a voltage from it
Viper 5902 - Ordered
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
dereileak wrote:
My issue is I have found a wiring diagram for my 99 dodge grand caravan on both bulldogsecurity and this site, but both has small differences in them, is there another one that I can use?
Then it is time to whip out the multimeter and start testing. You can also register @ http://techservices.audiovox.com/ and compare.
dereileak wrote:
also do I need to hook up ignition 2 flexed relay wire? whats flexed mean? some people act like they are not needed
yes I would hook it up. Connect the RED / white to 12v constant and the pink/white to your 2nd ignition.
dereileak wrote:
also for the parking fuse in the 5902, you can either go negative or positive, do I just match that to which route I go with hooking it up, either the positive parking wire, or negative parking wire?
you got it. you can grab negative parking lights right @ the switch in your vehicle.
dereileak wrote:
the 3 pin door lock says its just a 500ma unlock wire, and ones a 500ma lock wire, I am thinking then I have to put relays for the locking to work with my car, because it says it needs then if they are not built into the module
your 5902 should come with an included 451m module. This is basically 2 relays in a box and can be used for your door locks.
dereileak wrote:
the part that starts confusing me is seeing all these wires I have to connect where there is no place on my car to do so, like the status output? starter output which is just a 200ma one, unlike the full starter input and output, anyone have any advice?
All cars and installers are different. These wires may or may not be used depending on the vehicle and what the installer is trying to accomplish. On your vehicle, a good amount of the wires will not be used.
dereileak wrote:
I think what I have figured out is if the thing on the viper install says its a limited output like 200 ma, then it needs to be relayed for the car, because some of the car things is saying it needs a relay for it to work, but the viper alarm acts like it is only reading a voltage from it
again, it depends on the vehicle. 200ma is enough to trigger a relay. Some cars have factory relays that you can connect to the wire before it reaches them, so no additional relays are necessary. Other cars where you have to connect directly to the component (actuator, solenoid, etc.) additional relays are generally needed.
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
thanks a bunch, I wish they would put on the vehicle diagrams whether it was wire to run a relay already in the car or the full voltage going to whatever it is powering. the lock output and input say 500ma so I am thinking it is all I need, my 5902 didnt have the lock 451m module, but I did buy a bunch or relays with a dual holder wire thing for locks, but I do not think I even need it, the main thing is I do not want to fry anything, ex. if I hook up a relay and it sends 12 volts to a wire that is not supposed to get it, what would happen, my thought is if I try without the relay first then I wont burn out any wires, but I could also damage the brain if it trys to pull to much power, thanks for all the help, I will try that site
Viper 5902 - Ordered
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 11:41 PM / IP Logged  
The current being supplied to trigger a relay doesn't matter. It could 200ma or 12 volts - doesn't make a difference. However, not using a relay when applicable could cause damage to the brain.
As for your locks,I think you are going to need relays. 500ma being sent through a resistor will not provide the same output as 12v through a resistor. However, your locks are a negative output, so I'm not sure if the same applies for ground. Someone with better knowledge about this might be able to chime in and help you out.
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2010 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
according to both 12volt and the audiovox it says nothing about needing relays, I am thinking this is just the signal cable telling it to fire the relays to lock the doors, cause think about it, why would it be a certain independence 250 to lock and 1050 to unlock, that sounds like it is going to a more sensitive relay and then firing the 12 volts to lock, essentially cant I just use a multimeter and find out how many volts it is sending and that determines if it needs a relay or not? Link TO DMM what do you think of that DMM, is it junk or will that be fine you think?
Viper 5902 - Ordered
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
ok, I think your right about the locks, they need a relay, on audiovox it says to click this thing to see your one wire lock system, and it gives me this Link here which shows it needing relays and then firing through a resistor, good thing I bought all of those, now I just need to wait on the order from parts-express.com ><
Viper 5902 - Ordered
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
ok anther issue solved, for the parking light it only needs a relay if the brain can only send out a positive signal, to switch it to negative, but the 5902 can do both, so I am set with that too, HELL YEASSSSS, man you have helped me a bunch
Viper 5902 - Ordered
dereileak 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2010 at 12:25 AM / IP Logged  
ok, now it says these are for
((+) RED / BLACK (30A) FUSED ACCESSORY/STARTER RELAY INPUT
This wire is the polarity feed to the accessory and starter relays.)
PINK/WHITE (+) IGNITION 2 FLEX RELAY OUTPUT
This wire is factory programmed as Ignition 2 and can be programmed as a
2nd accessory or as a 2nd starter.
(+) (30A) FUSED IGNITION 1 RELAY INPUT
This wire is the polarity feed for the Ignition1 relay.
H3/
(+) (30A) FUSED IGNITION 2 / FLEX RELAY INPUT 87
This wire is the polarity feed for the ignition 2/flex relay.
H3/3
are polarity feeds just telling the unit its a positive wire, so hook all those up to the 12v constant source except for the "PINK/WHITE (+) IGNITION 2 FLEX RELAY OUTPUT" one?
Viper 5902 - Ordered
Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic