icon

Viper 5901, 95 Pontiac Trans Am

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ssbowtie1 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
I'm installing a Viper 5901 in my 95 Pontiac Trans Am. I am only hooking up the alarm and not the remote start. I initially thought I only needed to use Harness 1 which included the power, ground, door triggers, etc.
I noticed that there is a Harness 3 that is required too for the starter kill but I'm not sure to what extent. So my questions are as follows:
H3/1 IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT: Straight forward enough.
H3/2 (+) (30A) FUSED IGNITION 2: ??
H3/3 ACCESSORY OUTPUT: I have this wire but I'm just wondering why the alarm needs this?
H3/6 (+) (30A) FUSED IGNITION 1 RELAY INPUT: What is this and do I need it?
H3/7 (+) IGNITION 2 FLEX RELAY OUTPUT: ??
H3/8 87a OF IGNITION 2 FLEX RELAY: ??
H3/9 (+) (30A) FUSED ACCESSORY/STARTER RELAY INPUT: ??
Thanks guys for bearing with me.
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 7:50 AM / IP Logged  
Why not do the remote start...You have the chip(resistor) half way down your key ...right...? There is an easy DIY bypass for those...Or can bypass for good and never have to buy another resistor key...?? There is so many posts on that unit...Have you used the search feature...This unit should be banned unless installed by a shop...The wording is tough...ey...
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 7:54 AM / IP Logged  
I have a manual car so I just decided not to get involved with the auto start right now. The wiring seems pretty straight forward for the Main harness and the locks but I'm just not understanding the points I listed above or whether I even need those wires for the alarm/starter kill.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

use h3/1, green and purple on the remote start.

Green to keyside of starter wire

Purple to starter side of starter wire.

this is the starter kill.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks tedmond so you're saying out of that harness the only wires I will need since I'm not installing the remote start are the H3/1 and the green and violet wires for the internal relay on the starter kill?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
you'll also need to hook up the thick pink in the primary harness as that supplies ign power to reset the alarm.... otherwise your LED will flash forever.... plus it uses this circuit to monitor whether the vehicle is being hot wired..... this is the only wire in that harness that should need to be connected.....plus of course, park lights, door trigger, power, ground, etc. etc from the 12 pin secondary harness....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 8:51 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks kgerry I think the thick pink wire you're referring to is H3/1 in the remote start harness.
H3/1 PINK (+) IGNITION 1 INPUT/OUTPUT
Please let me know if you're referring to something different.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 8:54 AM / IP Logged  
thats the one
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
monty862 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
You probably know this, but I didn't see it mentioned, You have to cut your ignitions starter wire. Then connect the R/S green wire to the key side of the cut wire and R/S violet wire to the starter side of the cut wire. This unit is designed to work with a manual transmission. It requires you to go through a shutdown sequence when you park the car to ensure that you haven't left it in gear. R/S is a nice feature, you'll need to get a bypass module if you decide to hook it up.
ssbowtie1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2010 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks monty the directions were pretty clear regarding cutting the ignition wire and that's what I will do.
Regarding the remote start, it is absolutely a useful feature, especially on this car where the heater takes a long time to warm up and its always a good idea to warm the engine before driving so I usually end up sitting in a cold car waiting for it to warm up.
However, this is my first alarm install and although I haven't started the car yet, I feel confident that i will not have many issues. I would feel much more comfortable, however, having someone around that is more experienced if I am going to install a remote start. I already have the VATS bypassed for other reasons, its a simple resistor that I soldered to the ignition switch.
I may just get quotes on installing the remote switch or maybe after doing some more research I'll feel more comfortable and tackle the remote start at a later time.
Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic