icon

alarm, 2006 honda civic

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
scooter99 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  

So I'm getting ready to install an alarm in my car.  I have a 2006 Honda Civic Ex Sedan.  When we bought the car we got the factory aftermarket system, Omega AL-100F installed on it so it would work with the original key.  Well I am about to finish a very extensive, and expensive, audio system and frankly I don't trust that alarm.  I also want the auto start on my car.  That being said, I"m looking into the Zenesis ZN-502 and the Viper 5901.  I also am going to install whatever I decide on in my 1994 Ford F350 Crew Cab at some point down the line.  It appears I can utilize one remote for both vehicles, which is a plus.

The question: Siince there is already an alarm in my car, civic, would it in theory be pretty easy to just replace wires with the new alarm?  What I mean by that if it doesn't make since, is just take the Omega alarm wire off and replace it in the same place with the correct or corresponding wire from the new alarm?  All wires in this need to be seriously cleaned up.  They're very loose and the module is not secured, and other messy issues, which just adds to my insecure feeling of this alarm. 

The last thing I want to note is that.  I'm not an installer, I'm not a shop owner, I'm simply an enthusiast (however you spell it), and would like to learn further and broaden my knowledge.  I know everyone out there is gasping right now and before you type out "Take it to a professional" let me stop you.  I'm not an idiot.  I am pretty good with basic electronics, and do serious research and serious planning before attacking anything new.  I make my own wire diagrams as to how things are going to be hooked up and a list of step by step personal instructions on what wire goes to what, etc.  I'm not asking anyone to hold my hand, but would like some help with this and see if I can get an answer to my question from above. 

Referring to my research capabilities, I've done extensive research on both alarms for wire diagrams.  I have one for the Viper alarm and their accessories, however I've not been able to find one for the Zenesis.  I have the owners manual but it does not have wire guides or diagrams on it.  Don't know if anyone can lead me in the right direction on this. 

Thank you for your time in advance folks!!  If there are any questions or if I've left anything out that you all need to know, please feel free to ask and I'll give any information to help.  Thanks!

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
Firstly, I don't know if anything has changed but I was able to download the Zenesis install guide 6-9months ago with no problems. I'm not going to spell this out but please, please read the many posts on Viper 5901/2 especially with ref the remotes before making up your mind. Third point before we start mentioning every decent brand, OK Avox, for Prestige and Code it's worth looking at Compustar, very similar to Zenesis.
You will have to take into account factory transponder (immobiliser) by-pass and disarming any factory alarm which might be there "under" the Omega unit.
My method would be to test every wire to the Omega, this one is the tunk trigger, that's the door trigger, that's the lock trigger, etc. etc., tracing them back to source and re-soldering your new wiring.
scooter99 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 2:28 PM / IP Logged  

The only thing that I've found that I have downloaded was the user manual.  That of course has no wire diagrams or color codes in it.  So if there is an install guide out there I'm not finding it.  I'll try to look some more. 

As far as the remotes for the 591/2 I'll look into that. I have not made up my mind yet, cause I want to make sure if I'm going to go to this extent and spend the money on this I want to make sure I'm getting the things that I want in an alarm and getting a good alarm for the money.  I appreciate the lookout.

I have found that I'm going to need the bypass modules for both systems, either I think it's the xk-532 for the viper, or the I believe it is the Fortin Key Override all encrypted key data bypass kit for the Zenesis.

I would for sure test all wires before installation, but that's a great idea!  I do solder all connections where I can so that'll be done. 

I think my biggest issue right now is getting that Zenesis wire guide to plan an install. 

The only other thing I need to research is other accessories, such as window up down, etc.  What the zenesis offers standard and what will and won't work with it, etc.  I'll be researching that as well.

Thanks for the response! 

scooter99 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

Ok so here's what I've found, I'm assuming this is what you've got.  I tried to find the "zn-502" but I'm not turning up anything.  Do you suppose they're the same wire types?  If so i could just use this one I suppose to figure out installation right? http://www.zenesisalarms.com/manuals/z502install.pdf

I'll keep searching, thank!

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  

download th ecompustar installation guide. its basically the same brain.

IMO i would pick compustar or zenesis over viper.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
scooter99 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  

is this what you're talking about?  Couldn't find anyting from the compustar website unless I'm not looking in the right spot but this looks simiar to what the zenesis is. 

http://nustart.ca/support/NUAS-Install.pdf

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 5:59 PM / IP Logged  
From what I remember it's nothing like it! Sorry, maybe tedmund has a copy.
scooter99 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Sigh, I can't find anything for installation on this.  I'm not sure what compustar guide is similar to this, can't seem to find anything.  Oh well I'll see what happens in the next couple days of searching I guess. 
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  

dpends on the revision you get. They changed the brain around a few times because of glitches.

this is the most recent Revision. I uploaded it in downloads but here is a link

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/downloads.asp?srch=all&term=zn502

the plugs may not be in the exact area as the compustar, but colours are same.

Ted
Compustar Expert
tedmond 
Posted: February 12, 2010 at 7:44 PM / IP Logged  

lucky that i used to deal with them so i have their installation manuals in pdf form.

hope that helped. Cheers!

Ted
Compustar Expert
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic