alarm choice opinions from the experts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
anonymous1 
Copper - Posts: 151
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I've been lurking around here for a while, as there are so many interesting forums.
Some of you really know a lot about vehicle security systems, so I wanted to ask if there is really much difference on the ones made by DEI and if any of the one's I'm considering should be avoided, or if one would be preferable to another.
These 4 have features that I am interested in, let me know if I may have forgotten anything.
Also, I'm under the impression that I will need the XpressKit XK07 in order to have remote start for my Pathfinder\Murano, and that this will allow me to not sacrifice a key?
Do I also require a "keyless entry module"?
What about:?
Directed 500T
Directed 504D
Directed 507M
Directed 508D
Directed 509U
Directed 516L
Directed 520T
Besides some diodes, tape, loom, solder etc and a battery backup to be mounted in a very inaccessible place, what add-ons or parts do you recommend?
Thanks for your time and efforts, your suggestions are appreciated!
Cheers
http://www......com/compare_items.php?sort_order=%2Fviewcat.php%3Fcat egory_id%3D133%26items_per_page%3D100%26sort_order%3Dprice_desc&product_id%5B%5D =8625&product_id%5B%5D=16157&product_id%5B%5D=8623&product_id%5B%5D=16156

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 8:52 PM / IP Logged  

The12volt.com blocks most links to retailers.

What are the specific alarms you are looking at?

Generally, if you stick with a name brand system you'll be fine.

Kevin Pierson
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

DEI has their premier line aka Viper. From this, the leading companies under it are clifford and python, where the unit is basically a rebadged viper unit, with differant remotes.

all of the ones you listed will be fine. you might want to stock up on 2 relays for defrost and second starter. no keyless entry model required. the xk07 if flashed with correct firmware will work.

im not much of a DEI user. more of audiovox and compustar.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
anonymous1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2010 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks to both for the replies!

Sorry about the link, I wasnt aware of removing the linkage, I can remove the url if it is against the rules.

The four choices are under the DEI brandage, but I am open to alternatives. I chose them due to their addon offerings and pricerange.

I get your point about using a relay for the defroster, but maybe a bit foggy about the "and a second starter" part.

Do you mean using a std relay between the alarm and starter selonoid for the remore start?

if you can pass along an AudioVox or CompuStar recommendation, I would be glad to take a look.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 1:06 AM / IP Logged  
Most of the accessories you listed are pretty useless, they will trigger each other unless you spend literally hours setting them up.
All you need is a 508d.
anonymous1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  

THANKS HOWIE II

Maybe that's the problem with all the alarms in the low rent apartments across the street, those alarms go off day and night as if they're trying to "out alarm" each other.

I was thinking about setting the sensitivity on that in conjunction with a warn away if someone got close enough to try and see inside the windows.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 4:52 PM / IP Logged  

well all known alarm/rs companies price their units fairly well to be competitive.

what i mean by a second starter is, nissans and toyota are most commonly found to have 2 start wires. One is the main starter wire, as the second supplies extra current if necessary. Since the viper only has 1 starter output, you will need to use a relay in conjunction with the unit of your choice to create an additio nstarter wire output.

I am big on the Compustar Pro models such as P2W900FMAS.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
05murano 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
hey dude i have an 05 murano with the smart key and had an avital 5303 2 way alarm/rs made by dei installed.the most important thing imho is to have any alarm installed by a professional, remember "any alarm is only as good as it's install"... by the way they used an xk07.
05murano 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2010 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
alarm choice opinions from the experts -- posted image.
anonymous1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks to tedmond and 05murano for the recomendations etc.

I'm going to visit the Compustar Pro specs and see what they have.

And roger that on the second starter wire for addition current. I'll check the FSM and try to inspect it visually.

I reluctantly confess that many eons ago, I worked as a car stereo installer for 2 years. That and $2.50 gets my something from Starbucks.

I've been looking at the wiring diagrams for both the vehicles and the alarm units since last Oct, so I think I'm about ready to put a soldering iron to it and get'er done.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic