icon

product tech support

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

I recently purchasee and installed a DEI(Viper 5101) remote start/keyless entry unit. I imediately found out upon receiving the product that DEI doesn't offer any support or warranty to DIY installers. Are there any manufactures who do that produce a good product?

I've installed several Design Tech units in the past, but most of them were crap. And since DEI bought them out, they tech support has gone to crap too. They only model worth it's salt was the DesignTech Ready Remote/AutoCommand 23927.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
all the large, reliable brands wont have any warrenty if you DIY anyways.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
As a one man band, I find it pays to remember the manufacturers techs names! If you had a really friendly neighbourhood shop, you could blagg your way using their name.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

Howard are you encouraging him to tell tales? LOL!product tech support -- posted image. 

Personally as an installer i find that offering tech assistance to the general public aka DIY's isn't sensible, for heaven's sake some of them can't even understand how to use the systems, let alone install them!

Also as ted says, you won't get warranty, and for anyone seeking tech assistance on DIY alarms an r/s check this site

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  
OK, back to rant mode...Joe Public getting tech support = food taken from our mouths and loved up cars, have you the terrible twins noticed the last post from that moron on the BMW saga, I so wanted to post " I TOLD YOU SO".
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  
And no my original version WASN'T LOVED UP. The naughty language filter has bad syntax!
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  

I know exactly what you're saying about the people that can't figure out how to use a system, much less install one. However, there are also people out there who have the know how, such as myself, to tackle these things given the right information.

I feel information/tech support is withheld from the DIY'er simply to force people to go to dealer/installer, or as cost cutting measure. I'm not sure which though. 

I'm sure it's much cheaper to provide support to authorized dealers rather than prodiving support to the general public. I'm also sure the average call time would be much shorter when dealing with a dealer than the average joe.  

I don't believe information/tech support is withheld due to the installation of one of these units being dangerous, after all, how many people install brakes on their own vehicles, yet brake pad and shoes are sold over the counter every day. (That's just one example.)  

I DO know that for someone like me that has been working on cars for over 20 years it's frustrating.  

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

OK - I think this is a much more appropriate thread to continue this discussion in!

Again, like I said in the other thread, they do this for several reasons - to "protect their brand" and to cut down on technical support load are two of the big ones.

When you sell a simple or a complicated piece of electronics for a car every guy with a combination wire cutter / stripper / crimper will think they can install it.  When things go wrong and they don't have the ability to troubleshoot it they jump on the internet and tear the company apart.  Or, they spent countless hours on the phone with a tech support guy fixing simple problems.  Or, worst yet, they damage their car or the alarm and then expect the manufacturer to warranty the part / pay for the damage because they either didn't have a volt meter, didn't know how to use it, or didn't realize that sometimes the same color wire is used multiple times for different circuits in a car!

If you only sell your products to shops that are certified to install them, and then you require professional installation you virtually eliminate your basic tech support level, you cut down on warranty returns, and you limit the amount of people talking bad about your product on the net.  You also create a more elite brand by limiting the places you can purchase your product. 

Now, this does come at a cost - the people who have the skills / ability but arn't a distributor get left out in the cold.  However, this portion of the pie is so small that it's a risk worth taking.  That, and the majority of "professionals" that "know what they are doing" that can actually install one of these things is fairly low (and that is proven on this forum). 

Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
With you 100% here Kevin. Your last paragraph applies to me because I'm an indie sub-contractor.The irony is that the alarm companies themselves have recommended me to these shops because I have relationships going back many years with the sales and techies, thus as far as I know I'm the only person given access to dealer portions of DEI etc.
I've also heard stories from the techies, mainly about the nightmares of dealing with the public who generally as you say THINK they know it all. At this point I will reiterate that products like the top Avox,5902, Compustar and Zenesis should be pro fitting only. How many amateurs test the car in advance, or test everything as they go or even know procedure to avoid fault lights being thrown up? How many people get problems because they don't connect both ignitions on GM? We don't even get these vehicles here except the Escalade but as a pro I know about it. Just look at that classic post recently on the 2005 BMW 3 series, you'll see what I'm getting at. Far as I'm concerned there's only ONE "amateur" on this section who I have no reservations about and that's Tedmond. The point is why on earth would you even need tech back-up on a keyless entry system, most of the required data is on this site anyway although I notice our poster hasn't even told us what vehicle he's installing to thus breaking the rules and then wondering why people don't rush to help!
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
The problem most manufacturers have with DIY installers is that if they give tech support & the DIY'er fracks up the system or car up, they blame the product. Cars are getting more complicated now than say 20+ years ago when I started. Back than there wasn't much tech support as many of you longtime installers know. It is much simpler to warranty a product and protect a manufacturer's reputation when only authorized dealers are allowed to install the products. Besides the fact that allowing anyone and everyone to install would dilute a products marketability which would decrease revenue. But that is another argument. ;) Additionally, think of the possible liability that they may be incurred from injuries resulting from a deployed airbag while installing a security system. As professional installer, they know better and even than it happens from time to time. People are sue-happy these days and as a manufacturer I wouldn't want to take on such liability, would you?
I have to disagree with the analogy with the brakes. An automobile is designed to have the brake pad/shoes replaced as a drop-in. It is not designed to have an AFTERMARKET security system to be installed as a drop-in. I stress aftermarket to separate it from dealer installed / plug in systems. An aftermarket involves alterations to a vehicle that was not originally considered by the engineers.
Although I started as a DIY'er and support them, but I don't believe that everyone should be entitled to install their own security systems.
</rant>
btw I am not with a manufacturer, but I use to help a smallish manufacturer out with tech support when their team was out to lunch :)
EDIT: I need to stop taking so long to type. KP and howie pretty much covers it
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic