the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

product tech support

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

Well KP and Howie does cover it all.

and thanks Howie! appreciate the comment.

I am a DIYer, but I have done so many and know so much about it that all my installs are referal based. Now with that being said i am no pro, but i understand the point of having authorized techs install them. The problem lies in the large companies. The sell so many units to distributors and the distributors may sell to small shops and they decide to sell online to average diy people. It is a huge risk to ensure reliable brands are ONLY installed by pros, since it would cost the company tons of money, but then again they save money from less tech support/idots who destroy their own cars, lawsuits etc.

Only so many things are DIY, and i beleive an alarm/rs is not as easy as some people think, thats even if that person even has any electrical sense in them. I'm sure we all have had our moments where we disagree or hate a post because of the ignorance of the original poster.Why? This is because they assume they know it all and require no help, but they are the ones asking the questions. Sure there are many questions that seem too simple to ignore, and if they did some searching im sure answers can be found. BUT everyone is in a "rush" and demand answers without needing to look/search for them. Those asking simple questions expect to be spoonfed the info all the time. Its cool to ask questions since more knowlege is key, but when its such a simple question such as "where are my parking lights" just use the search button! Im sure it must have been talked about at least 20 times.

i fall into the catagory of DIY so i cant complain much ahah.

Have a good day everyone!

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

Wait, tedmond is an amatuer?  haha   :)

At this point he is WAY more professional then I am.  I've been "retired" for 5+ years now...

Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  
Being somewhat anal, let's take this further, I'm generally on the road but I carry 3 Weller Pyropens 1 Weller gun, 2 spare butane fillers,2 cordless drills, an inverter 2 spare Antex Gascat cordless (aka Blue-Point), 2 sets of compound crimps plus 1 dual purpose for non-insulated,3 Klein assorted strippers, about 5 different types of shrink tubing, ordinary insulating tape, fabric tape for stealthing on German cars, Scotch 33+ for joints, about 10 Bosch relays, 10 mini relays, prewired about 200 1 amp diodes and 50+ 3 amp diodes,1 x 1/4" drive socket set (metric +1/4") a 3/8" drive set plus the normal tools, ring terminals, AND a Snap-On incandescent tester, a Mac LED tester and a DMM, 3 LED work lights, who pays for this? Not forgetting about 500 assorted black zip-ties. Hell a bloody metric cone cut costs about $15 here.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
You guys have it covered! There is a particular poster on here recently,  who thinks because he does a little jet electrics thinks he can come on and throw his words around like he knows it all, i think this thread is very timely for him, Howie and KP know who i'm reffering to!
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 6:26 AM / IP Logged  
hey t&t, havent seen you on for a while. hows everything over in trinidad?
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  
Tee hee - is the jetter like the Navy dude that Araldyted some electronics kit together? (Sorry from "The Serviceman" in an old Electronics mag - and it was not the April copy.)
As to tech support & warranty etc - I also see it the other way - if you can prove the install was not wrong and (therefore or otherwise) it is the unit....
But how do you prove that? Easy - get the qualifications.....
How do manufacturers judge your competence - see the last line.
Else by the time they charge you their $40 or $200 an hour for a few hours whilst they test you....
This is covered by the earlier replies...
And yeah - it's a pain for the few that are competent...
Then again, how do they know what the should know? Ha - even though I have overturned several practices & rules, and some of my designs etc have been and are years ahead of industry, I recently learned NOT to touch a modern car! (Luckily I've learned through this forum - who would have thought an oldskool earthing test would have set off airbags etc? I wouldn't have...)
PS - I've never really been big on the "I told you so!". I get far more enjoyment at the later request for assistance or info...
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 25, 2010 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
I've been around ted! Weather in t&t has been really dry lately, no significant rainfall for the past three months, water resources are steadily depleting, our water resources haven't dropped to this low in decades, no real panic situation yet, but,  hopefully the rains will come soon, besides that and the increase in crime, lawlessness, drunk driving (although the govenment increased the penalties and introduced breathylyser testing), poor health care, the government wasting resources in a deepening recession,  and slow install bays for the past month and a half,  Trinidad's great! LOL! product tech support - Page 2 -- posted image.
commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic