Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
r1_pilot 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

Car:2006 Honda S2000

Alarm: Clifford G5 Avantguard 5.1

I was poined to this forum and therefore new here. Earlier last month I had a small fire in my car and after finding the source I am trying to not only fix the problem, but also want to eliminate the source of the problem.

Some background: I had this alarm installed by a Clifford approved installer that came with plenty of rec's from S2000 owners. Ever since the alarm was installed in 2008, I've had problems. The car sometimes would loose complete power and shut down while driving, sometimes would not start. It would happen at random, but more often when raining.

Fast fwd to last month, we had a very hard downpour in south Florida. I was driving to work and the car shut-down at a light. I tapped the wires under the dash, and the car came back to life. About a mile after, I started smelling burning wires. I was about 1 mile from work, so I rushed and made it there. After that the car was towed to my house.

I traced the burning back to two black wires that are spliced into the ignition wire (at least I believe thats what that is). Its a BLACK / YELLOW trace wire going to the ignition switch. The alarm install is a mess, and I want to clean it up myself rather than take it back as I lost trust on this installer. But before I redo this, I would like to eliminate the source rather than patch it up.

Here are some pictures:

trying to find reason for small fire -- posted image.

And these are the type of butt connectors I was planning on using. They are Molex with glue and they shrink when heated:

Its it acceptable to use butt connectors, or am I better off soldering? I think it would be quite a feat to solder this with the tight space in the S2000 under the dash.

Also, here are my thoughts on how this started:

- Installer spliced the loom with a razor and damaged the wire insulation.

- Used butt connectors and did not insulate properly
- I find this part difficult to believe, but somehow water got under the dash due to the rain and shorted the badly insulated wires.
- Burning started.
I would appreciate any input on this. Thanks,

J

r1_pilot 
Member spacespace
r1_pilot 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

Just copy paste those links into your browser and they will show up.

J

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

The BLACK / YELLOW wire is the ignition lead from the key.  The ony reason I can see that they cut that wire was for the starter kill.  Since your car has a manual transmission, cutting the ignition wire and installing Ignition kill instead of starter kill.  Chances are they used wire that was too small to handle the current of the ignition circuit.  I am not in favor of cutting ignition wires.  If you insist on keeping it an Ignition kill, use larger wire, and maybe solder the connections. 

r1_pilot 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

You are correct, the factory wire is much thicker than the one the one that comes/goes to the brain. It looks like its a Clifford wire.

They basically cut the wire and now that wire goes through the alarm brain ... I am going to rewire the Clifford part using thicker wire. Will try to give a shot at soldering this thing.

Does soldering provide a better connection or is it better overall to a butt connector?

Thanks, J

i am an idiot 
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Soldering will make a better connection than the butt connector.  For the ultimate connection, you may want to cut the insulation off of a butt connector, strip and tin the wire, insert it in the butt connector and crimp it.  Then do the same with the other wire, then heat up the butt connector and apply some more solder into the connector.  Do not forget to put the heat shrink over the wire before you crimp the second wire into the connector. 
lowpriceaudio 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 2:30 AM / IP Logged  

For one I dont see why they would split a ignition wire and run it into the brain.

Normally the brain has starter kill built in and they split the starter wire so the vehicle will not start when the alarm is armed.

Second, The water getting to the connectors is probably  a boot on the firewall removed and not reinstalled properly or at all which allows water to run down the engine harness wiring under the column.

Anyway if you want to do it right factory approved  strip back the wire one inch flat wrap and twist wire back together , Solder and Heat Shrink to Complete.

eric
i am an idiot 
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 6:06 AM / IP Logged  

They cut the ignition wire because his vehicle has a manual transmission.  For maximum security, Ignition kill is the only way you can keep them  from stealing the car.  From a safety and reliability standpoint, there can be problems.

I guess that the next time I hear of a dealership wanting to charge someone 1200 dollars to replace a wiring harness, i should point out the factory approved repair method.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
The first though is WTH is this alarm doing in the US? It's English market only, actually it's a dealer fit only and we are trying to trace the source, there seem to be a lot of UK guys having problems with this alarm because they are trying to install themselves. It's a dealer or contractor like me known to DEI install only. Incidentally we are mandated to solder those wires. Ours come with a large plug containing both Ignition (BLACK / YELLOW on Hondas) and Starter cuts (BLACK/ white) again mandatory, in fact they are sided the ignition key side is also the ignition sense wire. Looking at the photos it looks like there was too much current flowing through those crimped butt connectors. The BLACK / YELLOW ignition join is the one causing the problems. If I can cut and post I'll show how it should be done
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 6:59 AM / IP Logged  
Failed, sorry another thing I've noticed recently with this particular unit, I've installed 5 in the last month is that the ignition relay is failing! I've seen similar burn marks on the Clifford factory plug!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic