icon

used car with alarm, 04 tundra, code alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j.w. 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
I recently bought a 2004 Toyota Tundra double cab. It did not come with keyless entry remote. I dug around and saw that it has an alarm installed. I opened up the dash and found the module. It's a Code Alarm 425, p/n 102-5121. I've contacted Code Alarm about ordering some replacement parts to get this back to being operable. I have read some pretty bad reviews about Code Alarm, so i'm not counting on them being able to help me out very much. Does anyone have experience with this scenario? Would i need to simply buy a new remote, or replace the entire system? I'm ok with replacing the whole thing if need be. If I bought the same module(s), would it pretty much be "plug-n-play"? Any direction on the next steps i need to take would be greatly appreciated. All i'm really trying to achieve is getting keyless entry, but if the modules/wiring is already there, i wouldn't mind having additional feature. Would it be as simple as just buying one of these?
PART 2: I did some more exploring and took off the driver's side door panel and found a couple gray cubes with some half-*** wiring (pics attached). I'm assuming these are for the keyless entry add-on? Check out the pics...where is that black wire supposed to be attached?! For a while now, i've been having some strange behavior with the locks...
- After opening the door with the key, the unlock button does not unlock the other doors. Have to manually reach over and push the lock lever back. However, with the car started, the locks work fine.
- When key is in ignition, if i lock the doors with the lock button, they all immediately unlock. I have to remove the key from the ignition to be able to lock my doors.
These problems must be a result of that crappy wiring job in the driver's door. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? I'm sure it's more complicated than "hook up the black wire where the blue wire is" (that's actually where it looked like it was probably hooked up), but i'm willing and eager to learn more. I'm very inexperienced with alarm systems, but have installed a few audio systems. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, and will research and learn whatever i need to. just looking for some starting points. I'm more than happy to pull off the dash and door again to gather any additional info (pics, diagrams, etc) that will help troubleshoot this.
Thanks you in advance for the help.
used car with alarm, 04 tundra, code alarm -- posted image.
j.w. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  
sorry, i don't think my link "these" is working. I was referring to the Code Alarm Basic Security Keyless Entry CA-125 NW.
thanks again,
j.w.
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Code Alarm (aka) Audiovox makes bulletproof equipment. As for the doors unlocking with the key in the ignition....this is a fucntion of the vehicle. It helps prevent you from locking the keys inside the vehicle. I can provide you with proper wiring for the door locks, but since you refered to Relays, as "little gray cubes".....i'm sort of scared.....but i will find it for you. Good luck!
mikvot 
Gold - Posts: 1,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2010 at 11:58 PM / IP Logged  
Here ya go! Have fun. Just to add, If I were in your position, I wouldn't even mess with the previous installers wiring. I would just start from scratch.
j.w. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
that did come out a bit harsh on Audiovox. Honestly, i only read a couple of reviews on the CA-425; I shouldn't have lost faith so quickly!
mikvot wrote:
Here ya go!
wow. that pdf really clarifies the mystery of the "gray cube". lol. no need to be scared, but yeah, that did sound like something my girlfriend would say :) seriously, thanks for that PDF. I'm all for re-wiring it. do you happen to have a source for any documentation on the CA-425? I'm excited to not have to lean across my full-size truck cabin to let in a passenger. ha.
i think i can tackle the relay repair. now...how can i talk to the CA-425? with the CA-125?
and thanks for the awesomely informative and quick response.
j.w. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 1:22 AM / IP Logged  
I came across this in another thread from a few years back. Does it look accurate?
CA-425 Wiring Diagram:
4 Pin Power Harness
1 +12 Volts - Red
2 Starter Input (keyside) - Green
3 Starter Output (motor side) - Purple
4 IGN 1 Input/Output - Pink
22 Pin Base Harness
1    Dome Light Output - BLACK/ White
2    Manual Arm Input - Lt.Blue/Red
3    Unlock Switch Input - Lt.Blue/Green
4    Trunk Pin - Blue
5    Instant Trigger - Blue/White
6    Remote Start Activation - WHITE/ Blue
7    Hood Pin Input - Gray
8    Parking Brake - Gray/Black
9    Negative Door Trigger - Green
10   Ground - Black
11   Positive Siren Output - Brown
12   Parking Lights - White
13   Channel 1 - Pink
14   Manual Disarm Input - Lt.Blue/Black
15   OPEN - OPEN
16   Positive Door Trigger - Purple
17   Wait To Start - BLACK/ Gray
18   Headlight Output - Lt.GREEN/ Orange
19   Songbird Output - BROWN / White
20   Horn Output - BROWN / Black
21   Tach Input - PURPLE / White
22   Armed Output - Orange
source: https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=65701&get=last
j.w. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
i found the installation manual. looking at the diagrams, and comparing them to my photos, it appears that the truck is wired for remote start. sweet.
it appears that the CA-425 was the brain of a few code alarm kit model #'s, and they came with different features and remotes. i think all i need to do is re-wire those relays, and then buy and program this remote, and I will be good to go, right? does the FCC ID of the remote that i buy need to match the FCC ID of my 2 way antenna?
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 7:14 AM / IP Logged  
Grey cubesused car with alarm, 04 tundra, code alarm -- posted image.
j.w. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Grey cubesused car with alarm, 04 tundra, code alarm -- posted image.
lol. i know. i know. that was pretty rookie!
and here's another one... does the FCC ID on the back of my 2-way antenna need to match that on the remote? My antenna's ID is ELVNTRCB. All of the replacement remotes that I can find online are ELVNTRCA. I'm assuming this is ok, but want to be sure before I order it (no returns).
j.w. 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2010 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
and one more :) ... is it safe to assume that the second relay is for remotely controlling the windows, or could it also be for the locks? my truck is a double cab with 4 power windows, power rear window, and a sunroof.
thanks!
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic