icon

viper 5901 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
daygobaker 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2010 at 7:25 PM / IP Logged  
I just installed my alarm, and I can't get the remote start to work. Everytime I do the procedure it just says remote start error on the remote. The procedure I do is:
1. The car is on and doors are closed.
2. I hold brake and pull e brake up.
3. Release brake.
4. I momentarily ground the remote start wire (WHITE/ blue).
Thats how far I get...It keeps ending up with an error.
I also try to press the timer button on the remote after releasing the brake. Still no progress. Everything works...My remote start harness uses only three of the wires. h3/1 to iginition...h3/4 to starter...h3/5 to key......i have the toggle switch set to on....i programmed the remoter start menu...one time using voltage sensing and another time using tach method for rpm sensing....i have it set to manual mode, with one 1 toggle activation.....the neutral safety input is connected directly to my ebrake...h2/17 is connected to the brake wires and gives positive output....i im uncertain about the d2d jumpers so i left them alone....there were a couple things i was unsure about like 8,9,10,11 on menu three...i dont use these features so i just left them alone....other then that...i can't find anything missing.....if one of somebody can give me some tips i would appreciate it...thanks....its installed in a 93 honda by the way....
daygobaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
okay...i have progress..i am able to activate the remote start...but when i press the button i get the same remote start error....the initial problem was that i didn't program the brain to learn the tach..just start the car then hold the valet button and the light should stay on constant...then release....that should give you the ability to at least get the mts to enable......and use the option 4 for engine checking mode...my procedure to enable the mts is:
1. hold brake
2. pull e brake up
3. release brake
4. press the lock button on the fob
5. ground the turbo time/remote switch (tapping it, not securing it)
6. remove key
7. get out of car and close door
8. press the lock button on fob
from there your mts should be enabled...and the stick shift icon should appear on your screen...
daygobaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
i was able to enable mts....but still no luck in getting it to start up....the things i changed were....connecting all the fused heavy gauged wires to a constant 12v....changed engine checking to tachometer...and learned the tach......all the features work..pit stop, door unlock, lock....it even says remote start on when i do the mts procedure....but it just doesnt want to start....i tried connecting a volt meter to the outputs of the flex relays and none of them gave a 12 volt reading when i pressed the remote start button....are my flex relays fried?
joebubba 
Copper - Posts: 107
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
'93 Honda? What model?
Did you bypass the clutch? (This is not covered in the installation instructions).
What do you mean by:
"5. ground the turbo time/remote switch (tapping it, not securing it)?
I assume a 93 Honda does not require a bypass module?
daygobaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
an ex coupe...yea i even tried grounding the switch.....the whole point is im trying to get the relays to actually work, to get a 12 volt signal...
daygobaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
i would tap ground to create a signal, im assuming thats what the turbo/remote start switch does....
joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 7:29 PM / IP Logged  
I installed my 5901 in an Acura TL. Here's the link I used in addition to the install manual to hook up the large gauge wires:
Viper install for acura tl
Maybe that will help out. Are you using the wiring diagrams posted in the wiring diagram section?
I'm not sure, but I don't think the turbo wire even needs to be connected unless you want/need a turbo timer function. I only use 3 wires in the H1 harness.
Have you searched the forum for other Honda threads? Have you checked other Honda forums for help?
Good luck!
joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  
Have you actually tested the wire connected to the e-brake to verify that it has a negative signal when the e-brake is engaged?
Have you actually tested the brake wire for a positive signal when the brake pedal is pressed?
Try the whole sequence while sitting in the car (never get out) and holding the clutch pedal down. Will the car start then? If so, then you don't have the clutch bypassed properly. I assume the Honda clutch switch sends a negative signal when depressed. Be aware, if your car has cruise control, it will have two clutch switches: one for starter cut out and one for cruise control cut out. Be sure you are wired to the correct switch.
Here's the correct way to bypass the clutch:
Wire pin 3 (violet wire, 200mA negative starter output) of the 5-pin remote start aux output harness to the wire going from the clutch interlock switch to the starter cutout relay coil. (assumes negative signal from clutch. If it's positive, you'll need to use a relay).
daygobaker 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 7:50 PM / IP Logged  
there is a positive signal from brake, a negative signal from e brake, tried sitting in the car while holding down clutch, looked through honda-tech forums and came across a 97 civic install, did the same install....still didnt work....keep in mind im able to enable MTS....so im pretty sure the ground and positive and ignition are hooked up right.....its just when i want to start it...it says remote start error a couple seconds after sending out a signal....
joebubba 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 02, 2010 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
No, the fact that you can enable MTS does not guarantee that the start, accessory or ignition is/are hooked up correctly.
Being able to enable MTS tells you that the brake and e-brake wires are working, you have MTS programmed, and you have successfully performed the tach learn sequence.
It does not tell you anything about the start, ignition, or accessory heavy gauge wiring.
When you sat in the car with the clutch depressed, did anything on the car turn on when you pressed the start button on the fob (i.e. fans, interior lights, etc?)
Did you get any turn signal error light flashes ( you can hear the relay clicks from inside the car). Error codes are on page 57 of the manual.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic