the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

using the dei 528t on an existing alarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, first sorry for confusing you,you're quite correct,obviously red to 12v+ and black to ground. My syntax was terrible.
Unfortunately, your second diagramme is wrong!
Where you show yellow joined to black going to ground, as lectricguy rightly says, it goes to the pos. OUTPUT side of the switch.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 6:07 AM / IP Logged  

Howie-

The diagram posted on 5/9 correctly depicts the application I described in an earlier post; this makes/breaks the ground for existing Horn Relay 2 to control the cycle.  This was the approach using existing relays, just interrupting the latched state of Horn Relay 2.  Yellow is required to be grounded in that application.

Your recommendation, which is more efficient as it eliminates the 2 Horn Relays, must connect power to yellow at the switch output.  As you point out, your recommended application must not tie yellow to ground.

Restoman-

Be extremely careful in wiring which ever application you choose.  Make all the connections except the brown, and test the brown output with a test light or meter before connecting.

Lectric Guy
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
I'm still trying to work out why two relays were used on the original installation.
I might also have used a Velleman 100 kit rather than a 528t since it oscillates and would eliminate the flasher unit.
restoman 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  

Okay gents. I think I have it now (NOT using the original relays). Take a look at the new "lemon fresh" drawing. Did I get it right?

Ed
using the dei 528t on an existing alarm? - Page 2 -- posted image.

restoman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2010 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  

Oh by the way Howie, I did a search on Velleman 100 kit and couldn't find anything. I was able to find a lot of Velleman kits, but none of them had just the 100 in them. Is there another part number for this kit? If it's not too expensive, I might go that route and get rid of even more original parts!!

Thanks again for all your help guys. I really appreciate it.
Ed

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
Your diagramme is spot on, the Velleman kit was an Mk111. The problem is here in the UK the 528t trade price is about $9, the Velleman kit is the same but I've still got to build it!
restoman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 8:52 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks again Howie. Here in the US, I found the MK111 at Frys for just under $5.00, so I might pick one up. I also found the pre-assembled version VM136 on ebay for $20.00, but $15.00 seems a bit steep just to have it already assembled. It appears to be very easy to assemble, so I'll give it a go. I'm assuming it comes with instructions??
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2010 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
Yes but......using the dei 528t on an existing alarm? - Page 2 -- posted image. I remove the smaller pot to give me the same result as the 528t, you won't need the first transistor etc. since you are only giving it a neg pulse. Unfortunately its price here £5 against £6 ($ = x 1.5) makes it not worthwhile if you include building time.
Yes instructions are included.
restoman 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks again Howie. One last question... The original alarm system is really antiquated and the wiring from the battery to the key just runs under the rear tail panel, exposed to anyone that happens to look under the car!! Back in 1969, no one even heard of a car alarm, but now anyone with a pair of wire cutters can disable the thing in 2 seconds!

What I'd like to do is maybe add a wireless remote to the system and use that instead of the key switch on the rear tail panel. Would that be possible? I would leave the switch in place, giving the illusion that it's still hooked up, but instead of the key switch, use a remote key fob like that used on a normal "up to date" car alarm system. Does anyone make something that can attach to an existing system, or would it just be cheaper in the long run to install a new alarm and leave the old one "as-is" (unused)?
Ed

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 12, 2010 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Yes it's called an alarm! Doing it any other way would involve using relays which would be latched, = flat battery.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic