icon

viper 5901 in 2005 f150 lariat keyless

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
davewvu86 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 12:37 PM / IP Logged  
I'm gathering the parts to install a Viper 5901 in my 2005 F150 Lariat. It has keyless entry. My Dad, a mechanic who specializes in electrical work will be doing most of the install. My job is to order parts, etc.
So far I have three questions:
1.) Which bypass unit should I buy?
2.) Do I need an extra key to use the remote start feature?
3.) Is there anything else I should buy prior to the install?
I have downloaded the install manual and wiring diagrams from the site.
Thanks!
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

1.) Which bypass unit should I buy?

anything from fortin or idatalink for bypass, or you can buy a data module to control locks, etc through data (easier for first time installers)
2.) Do I need an extra key to use the remote start feature?

No if you use a self learning bypass.

3.) Is there anything else I should buy prior to the install?
get some diodes, resistors and relays (standard 30 amp relays) incase you need them for door locks.

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
davewvu86 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks so much for the quick reply.
I've looked at: =64">http://store.idatalink.com/index.php?l=search_by_vehicle&s[vid">=64
and
https://ifar.ca/en/vehicles/ford/f-series/2005/
The Fortin models have notes about self learning but look like they don't work for door locks. They also have a note about programming with 2 keys. I only have one. So, I looked the iDatalink offerings. They're just as confusing.
Do you mind taking a look at the above links (they go straight to the 2005 F150 products) and telling me which the best one is? We're looking for a straight forward, easy install. I'd just like it to lock/unlock the doors, work as remote start, and function as an alarm. I'm not worried about any extra convenience features.
davewvu86 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  
One more question -- is it possible to the delay the alarm for 30-45 seconds?
I'm also installing a motion activated DVR and pinhole camera in the interior. I'd like the alarm to be delayed to allow someone to get in the truck and get their picture taken before the alarm goes off.
topinstaller200 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  

All you need is the Viper 5901 only 1 relay only if you want domelight supervision actually you dont even need a relay you can just hook up domelight sup(-) from alarm to one of the individual door trigger wires(same thing)

all modules for this truck require 2 keys for programming some older modules require you donate a key and install it in a module hidden underneath the dash. Either way you need two keys.

Since you dont have 2 keys or you are not willing to fork over $120+ for a new key then just permanantly bypass the PATS system.

1)remove upper and lower shroud around steering column

2) remove screw holding transponder ring in position

3)insert key into ignition and turn forward to RUN position

4) Take a pick and push on ballbearing while pulling on ignition

key and igniton should easily slide out

5) carefully remove transponder ring from ignition housing

6) reinsert ignition and key and turn ignition off

7) carefully remove wiring from steering column so that transponder ring can be secured under dash

8)  remove transponder from key( there are 2 types of keys- 1 has a window on the top of the key in which you carefully slice square window off the top of key the pull chip out with small pick-be careful this chip is glass. Type 2 --no window use sharp razor knife and slice rubber off key half way exposing small black rectangle chip and carefully remove

9) affix chip with 2 way tape to transponder ring and start car

10) super glue rubber head on your key back together

11) black tape - really good chip in place so cant move or fall out if 2 way tape fails couple of zip ties for added measure

12) double and triple check truck starts and stays running

13) presto -- you bypassed PATS

14) No harm done- is completely reversible- saves you money

15) now you can get extra keys for $5 dollars each

16) Just make sure you hook up the starter kill feature from the alarm

topinstaller200 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

ok, as far as DVR and camera- most likely a waste of your time and money

Whole idea of alarm is preventing unauthorized access into your vehicle.

The only reason to do is for bragging rights and you cant brag to anyone you know or defeats the purpose

topinstaller200 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  

there is no delay. some other alarms allow for a silent feature but not yours

these are more common on motorcycle alarms

davewvu86 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
This forum is awesome. Thank you for being so responsive and offering all the advice.
I appreciate the insight on the camera. When my truck was broken into they stole my Eclipse in-dash nav but not the sub and amp. I'm figuring they saw the RCAs for the amp and are likely to try to hit the truck again, hence why I've been considering the camera system. I thought I read on another forum that the alarm could be delayed. I just skimmed the install manual again and based on your advice, I'll skip the camera system.
I had no idea you could just take the chip out of a key to bypass PATS but that makes sense. I've been meaning to get another key but just haven't gotten around to it. I'll make a point to do it next week. I should have a second key anyways, in case I lose my keys. Knock on wood...
With that in mind, which bypass module would you suggest?
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  

One thing with that advice given to you by topinstaller is that it permamnently bypasses perfectly good factory security, for no good reason, simpy because and aftermarket piece could never offer that level of security, NEVER! So my advice dave, keeping in mind you want security, leave the PATS in tact get a second keys and use a data bypass and you're still gonna be safe and convenient!

Think about this, you only lost stuff that was in the vehicle, following the above advice could result in you losing the vehicle as well! Which would you prefer?

Just my two cents! viper 5901 in 2005 f150 lariat keyless -- posted image., To topinstaller, that info you posted is against fourum rules

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 11, 2010 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  

Read this

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic