icon

avic d2 rca noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chawski 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2010 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have run into an interesting problem with my Pioneer AVIC D2 regarding the front channel RCA's. I recently started getting very annoying alternator whine through the front speakers. Subwoofer channel is un-affected. I had it looked at by a repair shop that tried replacing unnecessary parts, so needless to say they didnt get my business for the repair. When grounding the rcas to the back of the headunit, MOST of the whine goes away, but still enough to be really annoying. From what Ive read, its either the pico fuse or even more simply, just need the RCA's resoldered from the inside of the head unit. I am more than capable when it comes to soldering, but I have never opened up a headunit, nor am I an electrical engineer, so i would rather pay someone to fix it so its right the first time. Currently, the 4 6.5s and 2 tweeters (doors and rear deck) are just being run off the head unit power rather than my 4channel amp, and the noise is gone, but I really want to go back to my amp.
I have found 2 shops that can take on the repair, one being Pioneer and the other being a repair shop up in NY. Only problem is that both have a $200 flat rate for repairs. Considering the age of the unit and the repair that likely needs to be done, I just cant see myself paying $200 do have a few wires re-soldered
Can anyone on here recommend a shop or person that could do this at a reasonable price and that you would trust to have work like this done to your own head unit? The car is in NC but I am more than willing to ship in the lower 48
Thanks!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 18, 2010 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
chawski 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2010 at 6:31 AM / IP Logged  
thats a great write up. thanks! only thing is when i do that, I still get some noise. you think having a fuse on the wire might help at all? i suppose its cheap enough its not a big deal to give it a shot. at the end of the day, thats a temporary fix tho.
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 19, 2010 at 9:54 PM / IP Logged  
I do not remember how difficult the D2 is to repair.  If you want to take a couple pictures of the rear of the radio, I can tell you how to repair it.  One of the units was a nightmare to get to the internal fuse, I do not remember if it was the D1 or the D2.
chawski 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
I dont have any pics handy, but the rca's come off a harness and are not direcly attached to the back of the unit. does that help at all? lemme look around online and see if i can snag a pic or 2
chawski 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2010 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
avic d2 rca noise -- posted image.
rca's are on a plug like above. hope this helps
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 20, 2010 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
Have you considered installing 2 line out converters on the high outputs? Its a cheap way to see if you do have problems with the preouts, or if is grounding issue with the amplifier or something else, just a suggestion.
Chadillac
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 20, 2010 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
Both the D1 and the D2 use a plug similar to that one.  Without seeing the back of the unit, I really can not remember which is easy and which is more difficult.  I may not even be able ot make the determination once I see it.
chawski 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 23, 2010 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
what exactly does a line out converter do?
i am an idiot 
Posted: July 23, 2010 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

A line out converter is simply a voltage reducer that takes a speaker level output and reduces it to a line level voltage that the RCA input of an amplifier will accept.  They sell for around 20 dollars each. 

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic