icon

1999 silverado viper 5701 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2010 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

sounds like a repack... all the newer units have the plug for the valet switch... they through in a n old switch from a 130, 140, etc....   hope everything else is OK with the unit..... you want to go through all the settings to make sure they are at default..... hate to find out you have an IGN programmed as an ACC, etc....

the install guide will never tell you about a bypass module as that is completely vehicle specific... if your truck was a 97 it wouldnt need one... if a 98 it would.... they cant possibly list every possible vehicle on the road....

lastly, although it may take 60 seconds longer i would wire the DLPKGM W2W... i haven't really had any luck running these units D2D....  keep in mind it will only do bypass, no convienience features....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
skywatcher2001 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Yes Kevin it was a repack from eBay.
So, if I wire W2W the bypass will be just for the remote start? The viper can (and is) handling all of the convenience stuff.
If that is the case then I agree with you on W2W instead of D2D. I just want the bypass to RS the vehicle. Can you confirm this?
Pass on what you have learned - Yoda
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 22, 2010 at 11:27 AM / IP Logged  
yep....  should work fine
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2010 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Kevin...I'll let you ALL know how it goes later.
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
-UPDATE-
Well guys, I didn't get to attempt the install until today. I followed the INSTRUCTIONS an the WIRING DIAGRAM (EXACTLY) as noted in installing the DLPKGM from XPRESSKIT.
The Bypass Lights up but when attempting to program it The "light" stays lit. I tried both W2W D2D connections with the same result.
Any suggestions?
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

There is a warning in step 4 stating that connector 2 can easily be plugged in backwards. Is it possible that has happened?

What wires from Connector 2 do you have connected to what?  Looks like only 5 wires are used in your application. Pink, Blue/White, and Purple from connector 2, and then blue 12volt and black (ground) from the D2D connector.

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
I'm checking it now Smokeman1. Its a newer DLPKGM and it looks like they added "sliders" to the connector so it can only go one way.
I connected all but the blue/white. D2D didn't require it. I'm not too sure where the blue and white should go...are they saying the blue/white goes to 12+ until engine is on then it shows -continuity?
I'm a bit confused. Also, I'm concerned about my tach wire. Can I get a true tach reading by tapping the wire at the dash board gauges?
pink - ignition side of the starter.
blue/white - ??
purple - obd2
black - ground
red - 12+ (per the instructions in the DLPKGM Box)
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  

From the wiring diagrams I am looking at the Blue/White should go to the  Blue RS status (-) 200mA output, of the Viper 5701, and the pink should go the the pink wire of Ignition 1 of your truck. Not the ignition side of the starter wire (yellow) 

The DLPKGM diagram I am looking at shows a Blue 12 volt (+). It might be a set of older instructions as your says it is red 12 volt(+)

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 26, 2010 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
Smokemak1...thank you sooo much!I will make the adjustments. Yep...I plugged it into the yellow (starter) wire. (hope I didn't damage it).
As far as the power wires are concerned, I did check them out because it is a conflict between XPRESSKIT Instructions and Their website print out instructions. It didn't power up when I used the Blue but it did when I used the red so...
I'll let you know how it goes...
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2010 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
*** UPDATE ***
Well...I couldn't get it working. I've checked the connections 3 times. Cant get RS to work. The only wire I'm not TOTALLY sure about is the TACH wire.
I'm not sure if I can get a true tach reading by tapping the wire at the dash board gauges. Every post I've read mentions tapping into it at the PCM under the hood. Didn't want to go there but if I have to I will.
Any other thoughts?
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic