icon

1999 silverado viper 5701 remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skywatcher2001 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
It started with the key in the ignition in the "on" position. then it attempted another start as the engine was running. Tried to get it to learn the tach signal (pg. 53) but it would not.
Could it be that I grounded the BLACK/ white wire BEFORE I used the on/off toggle switch? Since I used the toggle switch I didn't dis-connect the BLACK/ white wire from ground...I left it connected.
Pass on what you have learned - Yoda
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 1:53 PM / IP Logged  

Try to remote start it with the key in the ignition. Do not turn it to on, just stick it in there. If you can't find a tach wire , set the Viper to Virtual Tach.  Menu 3.

Leave the BLACK/ White grounded.

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  
Okay...we're getting close.
It does NOT remote start with the in the ignition.
It DOES remote start with the key in the "on" position.
Tach is in vitual mode.
Smokeman, there is a factory alarm. Could this be the problem? I spliced into the factory disarm wire but no luck. I even tried to disable the factory alarm.
I'm thinking when the key is off there is some type of immobilizer that engages and wont release unless the key is in the on position.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

That is correct, you have PassLock 2 immobilizer system.  It is not a transponder in the key type system, it is a resistive type in the ignition cylinder. 

Double check your wiring connections between the Viper and the DLPKGM and the wire going to  Pin2 on the OBD2 connector.  Did the module get programmed properly to the truck and give the correct  LED responses?

Soldering is fun!
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  

Some more thoughts...

Not sure if this was covered before but...

Wiring on the Viper should be:

H1/2 to Truck +12v constant

H3/1 to Truck Pink ( IGN1 ) at ignition harness - also gets connected to DLPKGM Pink wire

H3/2 to Trunk Red ( +12v constant ) at ignition harness
H3/3 to Truck Orange ( ACC1 ) at ignition harness
H3/4 to Truck cut Yellow ( Starter ) wire truck side
H3/5 to Truck cut Yellow ( Starter ) wire key side
H3/6 to Truck Red at ( +12v constant ) ignition harness
H3/7 to Truck White at ( IGN2 ) ignition harness  ( Must be connected as IGN2. )
H3/8 not used
H3/9 to Truck Red ( +12v Constant ) at ignition harness

As always, all wires should be veified with a Digital Multi Meter and all connections should be soldered.  The above assumes that the Red wire at the ignition harness is suitable for the current draw of the 3 Viper wires attached.

Also assumes that the Viper default setting for the Flex relay is left at IGN2.

Soldering is fun!
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
No, it didn't. The LED on the DLPKGM stays solid during the programming. At one point it did but now it just stays solid. I haven't changed any of the wires though.
This is what I got in D2D Mode from the DLPKGM:
BLACK.........D2D Port on the Viper
RED...........D2D Port on the Viper
PINK..........Ignition
BLUE/WHITE....RS
PURPLE........OBD2
VIOLET/WHITE..Tach
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
Kreg,
I wired it exactly to your specifications. All wires were checked with a DMM before soldering.
Assuming that the flex relay is (by default) at ignition 2... is there specific programming I need to do?
kreg357 
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Nope, should come defaulted like that.  You can double check that Menu 3, Menu Item 8 is set to Option 1 ( IGN2 ).
Soldering is fun!
kreg357 
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 5:04 PM / IP Logged  

On the DLPKGM.

There is a vehicle specific install guide for your truck.  Go to the DEI ByPassKit web site,  http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?productid=125 , click on "Manual Downloads", click on DLPKGM and scroll down to your Truck, 1999-2002 Silverado.  This should be the correct guide for your truck.  It does not show any Tach support for your application so disconnect that wire.

If you are running D2D, then you have the 4 pin harness intact and connected between the DLPKGM and the Viper. This wire supplies the bypass module +12v, ground and (-) Status Output ( aka Ground When Running ).

If you are running W2W, then you cut this harness and attach Blue to +12v and Black to chasis ground.  Additionally, you will have to connect the Blue/White wire to the Vipers (-) 200mA Status Output.

If you make any changes, go thru the entire programming procedure again.  It should follow the guide as far as LED flashes.

Soldering is fun!
skywatcher2001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Weirdest thing...
it just started working. The DLPKGM LED is lit constantly but the remote start is working now.
It's not per specifications say it should be but its working perfectly. What should I do now?? Solder and button everything up??
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic