new rs in 04 toy tundra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wellyman 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2010 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
Hello all:
I'm planning on buying a Viper 5901 for my 04 DC Tundra. I'm pretty handy, but have never installed a RS before. It looks like from my research there's no bypass needed. The door locks seem to be a little strange, needing some diodes and a relay installed. This is a little confusing for me still. I've also seen an interface, the TOYDL which sells for $60 or so that I think will take all the confusion away from the locks, but don't know if its really necessary or not. I guess I'm really wanting to know if all I really need for this vehicle is the 5901, a relay and a few diodes (or a TOYDL). How does this unit interface with the factory alarm? Since I haven't bought the unit yet, I don't know how clear the installation instructions are. Any guides or help from you all would be great. I'd like to order all that I'll need as soon as I know exactly what I need.
Thanks all in advance.
Welly
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2010 at 2:33 PM / IP Logged  

You are pretty much correct, just the 5901 and a solution for locks. No second starter so nothing needed there. The locks aren't that hard, i can do them in 15 minutes but you need to run 2 wires into the drivers door. It's up to you whether it's worth 60 bucks or not.

Very important, you must connect the keysense wire to the status output wire on this truck...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
wellyman 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks Mike. I've just received the 5901. I'm still doing my homework before I begin. So for the door locks, I need to run two wires into the door, correct? Since I'm wanting to be able to unlock all doors with a single button push, it looks like I have to run these wires into the passenger side door. I'm guessing the Door ECU is physically located inside the door, not the kick panel, which is why these connections need to be done inside the door and not the kick panel? Also, for the 1070 doc, I'll need 1 relay, and two 1A diodes? Is this all I need? I don't need to do this for each door correct?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  

Here is the Bulldog Security diagram for the 2004 Tundra double cab :  http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/17044_TUNDRA-DOUBLE-CAB_TOYOTA%20and%20LEXUS%20door%20lock%20.pdf

Looks like 3 wires for their solution, lock, unlock and relay power.  Done in the passenger door, you can unlock all with a sngle pulse.  Done in the drivers door you need a double pulse to unlock all doors.

Soldering is fun!
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2010 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

I have never gone to the passenger side for this, always the drivers door. You can get them all to unlock in the drivers door by simply programming the RS to 2 pulses. 2 wires is correct as you can get power from the door ECU(thick green wire on the drivers side if i remember right).

Also, the door ECU is the actual window switch, not a separate module...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
wellyman 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2010 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  
thanks kreg357 and Mike M2:
Mike, what do you mean by programming the RS to 2 pulses? Does this mean that I would still only have to hit the lock/unlock button once to unlock/lock all doors? I want it to be single pulse unlock, which from all the stuff I've read requires this to be done in the passenger door. If you're saying I can wire this in the drivers door and still have single pulse unlock via programming, I don't see why everyone doesn't do this. Sounds like you would have the option of single or progressive pulse unlock.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2010 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
Program the Viper 5901 for double pulse door unlock.  Menu 1, Menu Item 6, Option 2.  When you press the Viper Unlock button once and get a double pulse output on the Blue Unlock wire.
Soldering is fun!
wellyman 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  
so this setting does make it function as a single pulse unlock. why does all the info on the door lock wiring say that you must wire into the passenger side door for single pulse, if you could just do this setting via programming? Is this because not all systems have this functionality via programming? Just seems like wiring it in the drivers door is better since you can have either single or progressive unlocks.
Mike M2 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM / IP Logged  
You couldn't be more correct! The setting will pulse the locks 2 times in a second. First the drivers will unlock but a second later the others will too. This way if you decide you want progressive locks you can simply change the programming...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
wellyman 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 27, 2010 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
think i got it. I still need to finish reading thru the manual and do some more planning. I don't have a lot of time to have this truck down, so I really need to do as much planning as possible. any other tips or supplies I'll be needing would help out too. I have never done one of these before. I was planning on soldering all connections, but since all of these connections are just wire taps, should I be using some sort of tap? any other things I'll either need or should note before I begin?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic