icon

optima or kinetik?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
knotdrummer88 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
im  replacing the stock battery in a 92 grand marquis, should i go with optima or kinetik?
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
I like my Optima a lot, but a lot of people on here are Kinetik fans. You might also look into Odyssey batteries.
MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
thank you for your input, so would you say mechanically(so to speak) that there are there any big differences between the two? or pros or cons to either of them? thank you very much
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2010 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
My usual question is why? But that is over here where they are three times the price of normal car batteries ($300-$350) and they rarely last as long as flooded batteries under typical usage.
(It's different for rarely started collectors cars, or as a second audio battery etc, but for cranking and winching etc - AGM usually isn't worth it.)
I too once thought Odyssey or Optima.
Many stateside claimed Kinetic are better than Optima.
I know of many local Optima failures a few years ago, and Optima were unable to provide any data to counter "bad reliability" claims.
Recently I was told that Deka were better than Optima & Odyssey and that Odyssey was not the saviour I thought it to be.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 2:16 AM / IP Logged  
I like Optima.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 9:59 AM / IP Logged  
i've used both and i really cant complain. i used a red top optima and got about 4 years out of it running off of the stock alternator. but, from what i hear optima isn't as good as it was when i bought mine and lately i have seen a few people who were kind of disappointed with them, but i cant tell you what the circumstances were that made them not like optima. they could have been trying to run a huge system off of one optima battery which is not recommended. if you want the battery for just an everyday car with a small system like 1000-1500 watts total, an optima should be fine. and probably will be your cheapest option too.
right now i have a stinger battery that's pretty nice and runs my system like a beast. i haven't used kinetiks in any regular cars situations, its always been on a ridiculous system with more that 3 amps to run but they do the job very well too. whats good about kinetic and stinger is they dont just have a one size fits all battery, they make all kinds of different sizes so you can get the one that fits your car or system requirements.
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
thanks a lot guys! and i didnt mention earlier i going for a yellow top, would i run into any problems using that as my starter, and my only battery for my system? or should i go with the red top? and also in the futer i plan on adding more in the back
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
if it's going to be your only battery you need a red top. yellow tops are secondary batteries.
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Agreed. Everyone tries to throw a yellow top under their hood. Red tops are cranking batteries. Yellow-tops are deep-cycle batteries. People down here seem to be okay with yellow-tops as their only batteries, but that's because we don't have that cold of winters. Red-tops are best for cold cranks.
MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
randy8876 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
I've got a red top that I've used for 14 years. I sent a letter of appreciation to Optima regarding how happy I was with the performance and they called me to offer a free exchange for a new battery, so I doubt I would ever use anyone other than Optima.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic