icon

optima or kinetik?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM / IP Logged  
And there you may have one consideration - older versus later Optimas. They changed construction (materials) after ownership changes etc. Maybe they have now come good.
And good to see others claim red is for cranking and yellow for deep cycle, I have so many people telling me that AGMs or Optimas do BOTH. (It's as if they do not realise AGMs are good cranking batteries - even if it is not good for the battery!)
I still question WHY an AGM for the main cranking battery. (There are reasons, but as long as the compromises are appreciated.)
FYI - I get 8 years with abuse from my normal cheap flooded batteries. Some people expect the same or better from AGMs (based on price and misinfo LOL!).
knotdrummer88 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
thanks guys! and im just tryin my amplifers more juice, im runnin just over 1000 watts, in near future upgrading to around 2000 though. and sounds like for now with just the stock battery location i should go with the red top. if i have a red top there, then when i add more i would be cool adding in some yellow tops in the back?
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2010 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Yep.
Hence why most keep their standard cranking battery and add AGMs near the amps.
Not however that bigger batteries do not make up for undersized alternators. (They simply mean a longer time before flattening....)
knotdrummer88 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2010 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
awsome thanks man!
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know much about the others brands, but I use a Red Top in my Jeep, and I do beat my battery harder then most. It's been used several times on my Warn 8000lb Winch,it pulls a ton of amps and my Red Top just keeps on going!
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2010 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  

randy8876 wrote:
I've got a red top that I've used for 14 years. I sent a letter of appreciation to Optima regarding how happy I was with the performance and they called me to offer a free exchange for a new battery, so I doubt I would ever use anyone other than Optima.

Wow, that's what you call service. Did it remain in the same vehicle for that period or was it transferred?

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic