the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

my setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2010 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  
mrm1776 wrote:
I personally wouldn't go with Boss. Quite a few people on here recommend SoundStream for an economic solution. Look into them.
soundstream's good amps are not exactly economical, though their tarantula amps are a beast, their lower model amps are just ok. but hey, anything IS better than Boss except Pyle and Pyramid. i would like to take all their amps, toss them in a pile and make a pyramid, though it still probably wont stand for more than six months before it finds a way to self destruct.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2010 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  
tcss wrote:
Ok, where to start. The youngsters (inmates) have obviously taken over the asylum. David and David help me out here. Every 3 db volume increase requires twice the power (500 to 1000 WRMS) there is nothing "theoretical" about it. That's 3 clicks on most volume controls for your extra 200 to 400 bucks. Not really bang for your buck to me. You actually think you're going to fit an Alpine 10" R woofer in a ported box under the rear seat of a Ford truck?  Unless you raise the rear seat 1 to 2 feet it's not gonna happen. Guys, the idea is to know the vehicle and pick out the best equipment to fit the location and space you are given. It is not to buy the equipment, no matter how good the deal is, and try to squeeze it into the truck when the room is not there. Finally do you guys realize that the lower the impedence is the higher the THD is? Running an amp at an 8 ohm load will deliver an extremely cleaner sound then running an amp at a 1 ohm load. You guys are so attached to output watts that you are sacraficing a clean sound to achieve it.  Old guys viewpoint.........
And THIS is why I love Bob... not afraid to say it, baby!
Seriously, though... I have to agree 100%. I run my 1000W PDX1.1000 at 8-ohms all day long, into a sub system than can handle 1200WRMS. My calculations indicate that the amp makes just shy of 600W, real world, and I can assure you, there is not ONE day, not a SINGLE song on my iPod that makes me want to re-wire for a lower impedance. I could re-wire for 2-ohms, easily. There is PLENTY of output. My amp stays cool, the output distortion is lower, my overall efficiency is better, and my damping is higher.
Forget trying to get yourself an amp that "matches" the power rating of your woofers. Get what you can afford right now, add more later if you feel you don't have enough.
Additionally, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason that you couldn't get yourself a decent "bang for the buck" stereo amplifier, and bridge it. Stereo amps are everywhere, and will easily run bridged, AND you can get the desired 4-ohm load with your existing drivers to get to that "magical maximum load" (in bridged mode) that you so highly desire.
Anyway... There's my $.02, at the behest of our beloved, and long absent tcss. How you doing Bob? Gimme a call once in a while, would ya!?!
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks David. I always thought you were the amp expert on this forum. It's amazing how much better life is when you are wondering about striped bass and bluefish instead of whether a system will hit "hell hard". Rock on. Bob
There is no such thing as free installation!
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic