icon

my setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mikelbolton 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2010 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
I caught an awesome deal at Best Buy, (2) 10" Alpine Type R subwoofers for $70(SWR1042D). I jumped on it. I have a ported enclosure in my truck. I also bought a cheesy little pioneer amp (GM-D8500M).
I've come to realize that when I seen the specs on these subs, that this amp is not going to properly power these subs.
I'm looking to get a decent amp that will power this system, but not trying to spend too much. I drive this truck maybe once a week.
Please provide some feedback. I haven't done any car stereos in years, and I'm a supervisor working 80+ hrs a week, so I don't have time to do much research on this matter currently.
Thanks,
-Mike
agraves1 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2010 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
The 1000 watt Alpine amp would work pretty well, but how much were you planning on spending.
And that is a crazy deal. I work at Best Buy and do not even get deals like that.
MECP Advanced
Make your life easier and buy a DMM.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 28, 2010 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  

First of all, supervisor or not, you are working too much.  That said, try to supervise yourself a few less hours so you can enjoy a little of your life that's flying by....

Next, work on building the proper enclosure for your subs.  Just because you already happen to have an enclosure doesn't mean it's the right one for your subs. 

I edited this post to look up the sub model number, which you were on top of things to give in your initial post, and saw that they are dual 4 ohms.  That puts a 4 ohm load on your amp when you have a pair.  Your amp is a mono amp that you should be loading with two ohms (no reason not to, for subs).  Trade out for a two channel amp and look at bridged configuration.  But in all reality, the properly sized box and proper installation with damped sheet metal panels is going to make or break this sub system.

Note:  How often you drive the vehicle doesn't mean anything.  And welcome to the 12volt forums.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2010 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
welcome to the forum, lets start out by asking exactly what make and model is your truck. as Stevdart said you can go with a 2 channel amp that will give you about 500 watts per channel @ 2ohms. or you can go with a MONO class D amp that will give you about 1000Wx1 at 1 ohm. these two configurations are technically the same, power wise, but a class D mono amp should stay cooler that your average 2 channel class A/B stereo amp.
for the price, i like autotek amps even though they haven't been the same since they did away with the Mean Machine series, but i still install their normal amps and usually dont have any problems. whatever you can get local will probably be your best bet. just make sure whatever amp you get is around 1000 Watts RMS, not MAX at 1 ohm mono or 4 ohm bridged.
mrm1776 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM / IP Logged  

agraves1 wrote:
The 1000 watt Alpine amp would work pretty well, but how much were you planning on spending.
And that is a crazy deal. I work at Best Buy and do not even get deals like that.

You're talking about the MRP-M1000 amp and it absolutely will not push two Alpine Type R subs. That amp will push 1000 watts at 2 ohms, but those subs are 500W a piece and since they are DVC running them together would put them in either a 1 or 4 ohm load. Obviously, you won't get the full 1000 watts out of it at 2 ohms since 2 ohms isn't an option with those subs running in a dual configuration. In a 4 ohm configuration, that amp pushes out 500-600 watts RMS, which is not enough to run those subs.

Do NOT recommend this amp for someone getting two Type Rs. Best Buy doesn't really carry any amps that are 1 ohm stable anymore. We used to carry the RF which was 1 ohm stable at 1000 watts, but no more RF for Best Buy. The Kenwood 9205 (not sure about exact model number) that Best Buy carries claims to be 1 ohm stable, but I've seen problems with running it at a 1 ohm load so I don't recommend it to anyone wanting a 1 ohm amp.

What I typically do for customers that want two Type Rs is to set them up with two MRP-M500s as well. Works like a champ and almost perfectly matched power ratings. Plus you get to get a little more money by selling them a dual amp kit and a fused distribution block.

To the OP, I would tell you to either get a good 1 ohm stable amp or get two amps that will push out at least 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms. Keep in mind, that most amps that are pushing 1000+ watts at 1 ohm aren't going to be on the cheap side, and if it IS cheap, then well... you usually get what you pay for. Not saying there aren't good deals out there at times, but do your research before throwing down your money.

MECP Basic Installation Tech
Certification ID: CEA195600
Pioneer AVIC-X920BT
Polk Audio DXi 6500 - front
Rockford Fosgate Power T1693 - rear
Alpine MRP-F300
Alpine MRP-M500
Alpine SWR-1242D
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2010 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
soundstream makes a great 1000 Watt amp the TRX1000D. it's 1000 watts at 1 ohm, really good build quality and a little know secret about them is that they will run at a 1/2 ohm for a few minutes which is great for a burp spl setup on a budget.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2010 at 12:05 PM / IP Logged  
Look at Stevdarts post. Before you even consider an amp you have to address the enclosure. What if is a single cab truck and he can only use a small sealed enclosure? What is it's an SUV and he can build the most efficient large ported enclosure possible? One thousand watts in the sealed enclosure will not go as loud as 250 watts in the ported box. So recommending specific amps at this point is completely meaningless. By the way, do you guys know the differance between 500 and 1000 WRMS is 3 db?
There is no such thing as free installation!
agraves1 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2010 at 12:33 PM / IP Logged  
Yea that was my bad. I was really thinking and I was kinda tipsy at the time of the post. Lol. So yea, I completely withdraw my post. Definitely do not get the alpine amp I was referring to.
MECP Advanced
Make your life easier and buy a DMM.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
tcss wrote:
By the way, do you guys know the differance between 500 and 1000 WRMS is 3 db?
theoretically
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
agraves1 wrote:
Yea that was my bad. I was really thinking and I was kinda tipsy at the time of the post. Lol. So yea, I completely withdraw my post. Definitely do not get the alpine amp I was referring to.
i guess you shouldn't get stuff installed at best buy after 5pm
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic