icon

good 4 awg wire brand?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
alp8040 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2010 at 4:49 PM / IP Logged  
Hello all, I'm in the process of doing the big 3 upgrade on my wiring. I have a 140A alternator and am wondering about the type of wire that would be best for 4 AWG. There are so many options out there and brands of 4 AWG wire that I'm getting confused about them.
Aluminum tinned 1660 stranded wire, copper wrapped aluminum core? I'm looking at some brands like Xscorpion, Stinger, Tsunami (eBay items). Also, looking to get good crimp rings and fuse holder for 150A, since I'm figuring that 4AWG wire running max of 6ft will handle up to 150AMPS.
Thanks
corrado007 
Copper - Posts: 60
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
If you're looking on ebay for wire you may also want to look on Amazon. When you search on Amazon you can look at ratings for products rather than ratings for sellers like on ebay. You can also sort wire by best selling or highest rated (reviewed by buyers). Might be worth a try if no one else has the answer you're looking for.
Also, I'm not sure about aluminum tinned or copper wrapped aluminum core wire as conductors but in general the metals below are in order of their conductive ability.
             Listed best to worst
silver copper gold aluminum iron steel brass
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2010 at 3:24 AM / IP Logged  
Avoid aluminium - except perhaps for rigid runs.
Al isn't very fatique resistant, and softness is a problem for connectors, and recrimping etc.   
It is hard to beat good copper - even gold is a worse conductor.
alp8040 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2010 at 4:12 AM / IP Logged  
Alright I decided to go the all Xscorpion route. I went 4AWG, but am trying to figure out how I'm going to cut this thick wire and then crimp the connections for it. Any advice on this is most appreciated...
91stt 
Silver - Posts: 564
Silver spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
Avoid aluminum wire if possible, it is about a 1/3 less conductive than copper. In order to get approximately the same voltage drop you will need to go from 4AWG to 2AWG. Copper wire is significantly more expensive than copper clad aluminum (CCA). If the cost seems low for copper it is most likely CCA wire.
This information is provided only as a reference.
All circuits should be verified with a digital multi-meter prior to making any connections.
mcintosh-asylum 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
true alluminum doesn's hold alot of current but kicker wire has around 2000 strands for 4 awg i believe.
4 soundstream xxx 15's :)
150.6 with 4000 watts
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
mcintosh-asylum wrote:
true alluminum doesn's hold alot of current but kicker wire has around 2000 strands for 4 awg i believe.
1: A wire doesn't "hold a lot of current". Current isn't HELD, it's CARRIED.
2: The number of strands has NOTHING to do with how much current a given wire can carry, it determines its flexibility.
mcintosh-asylum 
Member - Posts: 21
Member spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
so sorry mr car audio and it deffinately determines how much current it carries. the thicker the wire the more electricity it can carry ......make sense?
4 soundstream xxx 15's :)
150.6 with 4000 watts
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  
Not Mr. Car Audio at all, (even though I am QUITE versed in the field...) I am a US Navy trained electrician, and I have been in the electrical field since the mid 80's, and various audio fields for very close to that many years.
My bio, if you care... It might help you see...
4 gauge is 4 gauge is 4 gauge whether it's solid bar (it does exist), 7 strands (commonly used in power distribution) or 2000 strands (your Kicker example). The gauge of a wire tells you how many circular mils a wire has. Two thousand strands will APPEAR larger than the 4 gauge solid wire, but I assure you, they are the very same amount of copper. If there are more than 41,740 circular mils, then it is not 4AWG, it is larger than 4AWG. Fewer? Smaller than 4AWG. Incorrectly labeled? Ahhhh.... THERE it is!
Check this page out, it'll explain everything to you...
The stranded wires are certainly more flexible. This is the only benefit. A true 4G copper conductor will carry the same amount of current as any OTHER 4G copper conductor. I promise you, with ABSOLUTE certainty, it definitely makes more sense to me than it obviously does you. My apologies for my blunt response, but I think you need to pick your battles a little more wisely.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
mcintosh-asylum wrote:
so sorry mr car audio and it deffinately determines how much current it carries. the thicker the wire the more electricity it can carry ......make sense?
dude, im not trying to be a douche but how are you only hitting a 150 with 4 xxx 15's? you running 4000 watts total or to each one?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic