icon

remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
longfoot 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2010 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  
i just got done trying to install a remote starter on my wife's 2000 pontaic grand am and i'm have a problem when i hook up ground to chassis car wants to start without pushing any buttons im wondering if anyone has a solution. at the ingition switch there were 5 wires i hooked up a pink for constant power a blue for acc a yellow for start and 2 brown for ingition but im not sure since i dont have a wiring diagram im just going by what i remember when i hooked it up in her old car if anyone can tell me if im doing something wrong that would be great thanks 
buick1971
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2010 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Red should be constant. There might be a RED / Black that is constant too. This should help you. Looks like you hooked up the wrong wire. (I know pink and red look close in color on GM vehicles) Pink is ignition 1. https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/alarmdetail/1868.html

Side note- You should not be guessing at the wires. Refer to a wiring sheet like above and always test with a meter no matter what. These wiring sheets are not always right.

smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2010 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
Need to know what brand and model of remote starter you are using.  Your comment of   (but im not sure since i dont have a wiring diagram im just going by what i remember ) just sounds scarey.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
longfoot 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2010 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
thanks i'll try moving the wires around and keep you posted thanks
buick1971
longfoot 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2010 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
thats the thing on the control box it doesn't say what brand it is
buick1971
longfoot 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
the 5 wires im talking about are the ones that come off the remote starter if this helps any
buick1971
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 3:30 AM / IP Logged  
Too add to the above comments, as a pro I wouldn't touch this without a diagramme. Do you hate your wife that much.
Any one working with me tried that trick they would be out of that door without their feet touching the ground.
Do you even have a meter or a 12volt stabilised bench power supply?
longfoot 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
no i dont hate her that would be rotten as 4 being out the door thats just not rite i've spent 2yrs trying to find wiring diagrams for this unit to no avail so i went to my local installer who told me a little about the unit itself and also told me about this website i dont know what else to do
buick1971
longfoot 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 7:12 AM / IP Logged  
i have tested all wires from car and got them alright my problem is from the remote starter
buick1971
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
Your last chance would be to send a photo, with the looms plugged in and hope that someone recognises it. Shame I'm 3000+ miles away, I'd have it on the bench and get most of the wiring.
The next stage would be programming. Frankly I would suggest you bin it. What you are doing is so dangerous, it's bad practice if a pro you would be liable for all sorts of legal problems, hence out of the door if it was someone working for me, also and I note you've been asked this question twice now, do you have a DMM?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic