car cranks but no start after alarm setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
marlonism 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
Updates...
When I opened the distributor cap, I was able to confirm that the rotor spins when the car cranks.
marlonism 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
updates...
i unplugged the H3 harness and shorted the green and violet wires (which in turn should configure the primary starter wire to bypass the alarm). The same problem and symptoms exist. It would crank but no start. Note that if the H3 harness is completey unplugged and the mentioned wires are not bypassed, the car doesn't crank at all.
I also tried uncapping the distributor and I can see the rotor spinning on crank.
I am also getting battery voltage at the 2-pin connector attached to the distributor on the ON position.
Note that there have been a lot of start attempts so once in a while I jumpstart or charge the battery, still no joy.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Fuel pump or engine management or factory immobiliser. Does this car have a Security light on the gauge cluster? Also charge up the battery then disconnect 1 terminal and short the battery leads together, refit the terminal then try again.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  
Just had another thought, maybe there IS a factory immobiliser and it was by-passed back in the day by simply "mullering" an original key to remove the chip which would have been "fixed" (preferably using an epoxy glue) to the plastic antenna ring around the key hole on the ignition switch. The only sure way to find out is to drop the steering column housing and see if there's a round plastic cover to the ignition switch barrel around the keyhole with two or more wires coming off it.
If the chip has dropped, believe me you will never find it!
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
I don't know if this solution will work for you, but you are having the same symptoms I was having with a 2007 Mitsubishi Endeavor that I worked on a few days ago. I found that the car was no longer starting, it would crank, and almost start, but just wouldn't start. I had turned the ignition on/off numerous times to try and program the compustar remotes but I was not having any luck. My mechanic came by last night, and he diagnosed that the engine was flooded. So doing that multiple times flooded the engine. I thought I broke something else. So all he did was take some pliers, pinch the fuel line, got me to floor the gas pedal and crank the car. I did this for about 10 seconds, and then the car started. What a relief. I wanted to hug him, cuz I wasn't sleeping well the last few nights, kept thinking about what I might have possibly broke and what out-of-pocket costs I would have to swallow.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
From the details in this thread it sounds to me like the alarm work is not related to the problem.
I would try the inline spark tester on all 6 cylinders to see if you get a spark on any of them. If not, I would replace the coil. However, before replacing the coil I think I would pull a plug out, visually inspect it, and ground it to the block and test it the old fashioned way (just to be sure). I'm assuming that this vehicle has a spark system that consists of a coil, a distributor and spark plugs and I'm assuming that the signal to the coil from the ECU is present and working.
Kevin Pierson
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

How much gas is in the car?

I know ive had starting problems before with my car and I know other people that had problems too. All came down to it being the gas. Either bad gas, maybe some water in the tank...etc. If the tank is kind of low...maybe fill up a gas can and dump some new gas in. Maybe that will do the trick.

marlonism 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
Updates...
Finally took the car to a Nissan dealership. They charge $99 for the diagnostics. I got a call this morning saying that they would need $369 to diagnose it further. They said the car is not getting spark and fuel, and they mentioned fuel injectors (but the representative I'm talking to in the phone seems clueless as to what he is saying). They would need to take out the alarm in the diagnostics (completely remove it all the way to make it stock) and then if they find out that parts need to be replaced, the cost of the parts will be added to the $369.
They are now asking me if they should go ahead. The sad part here is that the car was running really smooth before the install (no signs of any trouble, though things have a tendency to crap out on the worst time).
<sigh>
marlonism 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 9:02 AM / IP Logged  
Oh and the reason why I went to the Nissan dealership instead of to my mechanic is because the dealership replaced the distributor a few months ago. It cost around $600 so I was thinking that if the problem is with the distributor (which also houses the camshaft position sensor, power transistor, ignition coil), at least they would fix it under warranty.
So now I am torn between two choices: let Nissan fix it or tow it to my mechanic (I would lose $99 diagnostics and cost of towing).
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2010 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry to hear. I hate how dealerships always want to blame the alarm and/or remote starter. I worked at Honda and whenever there was a problem with the car, I only had to disconnect the alarm system or atleast put it in valet (if they didnt know how to). That was because I worked there. If you dont work there....the dealership will want to remove anything that is not stock. Maybe you should have never told them that you just had an alarm installed. You did tell me that you had an alarm installed by the dealership (the one I removed). Would they even know the difference? Maybe...maybe not.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic