icon

Hooking Up 2 More Alternators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
acetone 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2010 at 10:01 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 97 golf gti 2.0 and am wanting to know how to hook up 2 more alternaters and leaving the stock one I have a bracket being made for this right but not sure what all I need and how too hook all this up if some one can give me a list of it all and the alternaters I plan on getting are 250amps each and the only battery I have is the stock one if u all need more info let me know ty
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Get alternators specifically designed for that purpose (including your original).
You can't just connect alternators together - they might fight each other.
And I suggest a temp monitor for your battery to warn of problems like excessive charge current or collapsed cell(s) etc. A collapsed battery receiving an extra 500A tends to explode quicker than most, but hopefully the shell may heat up fast enough to provide warning. Attached visual alarms could probably state "Brace Yourself!" (assuming a worst-case scenario).
If others know of suitable kits etc, then fine....
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
So shuld I get a car audio battery for each alternater or just one big one and the alternatersare being hand made and they know what im useing them for I hust dont know how to hook that many up and dont know what all I need
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  
I misread your last as
acetone wrote:
... and dont know what ... I need
and I thought "yet you are getting stuff anyhow?!".
So you have three systems - the car and 2 audio systems that will have their own alternator and battery?   I suspect not?
Just tell the manufacturer that you will be connecting them in parallel.
I then recommend that they - with a new battery - be connected separate to the car's electrics except for their common ground.
That's easy to do.
It also ensures independence (so the car will start even with dead audio battery(s). You can even boost the alternator output voltage with some batteries if it's a crap audio that requires higher voltage for optimum output.
You can even charge the audio batteries off the main alternator if the audio alternators are disabled.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 2:49 AM / IP Logged  
Till I read Oldspark's last post all I could think of when I saw this post was WHY?.
Talk about going round the houses!
That is apart from the seemingly impossible task of finding the physical space to mount them.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
You and me and many others I suspect....
I cringe when I see questions like this, but I have been pleasantly surprised by some. Like the first alleged >4kW audio system I read of on this site - but it was!
My last similar involvement this this type of thing began the same way, but again - surprise. But that was 12 months ago, and - not mentioning names of course - but IMO Cezar already had the answers but needed confirmation etc.
But that was an existing system (Dodge) with an added 250A alternator and two AGM batteries. He already intended (or knew) to only common the grounds (phew!). (I'm still intending to check with him, but I assume it went ok. His last question was about triggering the system with some remote...)
That system used the not-yet-patented "Ultimate Intelligent Battery Isolator" system as I so often describe - ie, the battery isolator is merely the cost of a relay of your choosing that can handle the load. (Caveat: Conditions Apply)
Maybe this is an opportunity for someone to sell their cap?
If nothing else, it would allow the alternators to be paralleled (if they each feed through a cap).
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
In over 30 years around car audio, I've NEVER seen anyone with more than ONE alternator! Why would you want to do this? Who gave you the idea? I've seen some $50,000+ systems at some IASCA competitions and still never seen anyone running more than one alternator, even in systems pumping out several thousand watts.
Get a Capacitor or two and you'll be fine.
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
kenwood_nut wrote:
In over 30 years around car audio, I've NEVER seen anyone with more than ONE alternator! Why would you want to do this? Who gave you the idea? I've seen some $50,000+ systems at some IASCA competitions and still never seen anyone running more than one alternator, even in systems pumping out several thousand watts.
Get a Capacitor or two and you'll be fine.
Im gunna be running 4000w as a daily driver and I dont think my stock 90amp alternater and a capacitor or 2 will work all I want to know is when hooking up 2 more alternaters do u need a battery for each one im new to systems this big so cut me some slack or what do I get to make my 4000w amp run with out any problems ty
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
"Cut you some slack"? Dude, I'm not dogging you or trying to slam you. I'm only saying I've never heard of running more than one alternator. That's all.
I've run systems with 3 amps with a total of 2000+ watts per channel and never run more than one alternator.
I would just suggest (if you don't wanna use caps) having your alternator upgraded. It's an easy process for any reputable automotive electric rebuilder. Just check your phone book for Starters and/or Alternators, and call one or more of them. Tell them what kind of power you're going to be running and get their suggestions. Ask them if they could upgrade your alternator to hand those power levels. Most can and/or will.
Just keep in mind I'm not trying to slam you or belittle you, I'm only voicing my personal experience based on 35 years around car audio. I'm not a pro installer, but I know several MECP Certified installers who have only been messing with car electronics for a few years. They are "book smart", but I'm more "street smart" (sort of a been there done that kind of thing) than many installers I know.
Let me know what you find out and/or decide. Good luck!
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
My bad man thought u were being a smart *** its hard to tell when reading I asked some people on hete and the said I would need around 400amps and I was just gunna get 2 250amp alternaters I have talk to a guy who can make me a braket for it all I just dont know whay else I need and nobody gave me any other advice so what u think I should do and agin sry my bad
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic