icon

Hooking Up 2 More Alternators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
No prob. Nothing taken wrong. Just wanted to be sure you realized I'm not slamming you, only trying to help.
By the way, this is my last system: two 1,000 watt amps and an 1,800 watt amp. And guess what? ONE stock alternator. I just made sure to get a better battery and run bigger wire gauge and other stuff.
http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/hh100/Hairball98498/98%20Stratus%20stereo/
acetone 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
Mine is 4000rms not max
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
acetone wrote:
Mine is 4000rms not max
Perhaps if you showed pictures and listed brands and model numbers, someone would be able to convince you that you're probably only going to logically get less than HALF of that RMS. Dude, I've seen $10-20,000 systems that didn't have 4,000 watts RMS! What amps are you running? Now you have me wondering. Heck, even the 3 Precision Power amps I'm buying this week aren't going to be anywhere NEAR 4,000 watts RMS. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight until I know what amps you're running and how many. And to see pictures of your amps at your house (not from the internet) would certainly help us all.
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Its in the mail its a autotek 4000.1d rated at 4000rms its bad ass will send pic soon
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
oh. So you're talking about a Mono Block sub amp that claims to put out 4,000 watts RMS, but that's only if you're running into 1 ohm. That amp isn't even made anymore so I'm guessing you're getting it used. Those amps had tons of problems, which was why they were discontinued. Hope it works for you. But so since that 4,000 watts is only if you're running subs, what are you going to do about your other speakers? Heck, you could run a 10,000 watt amp to your subs but it would NOT be a quality system. Trust me, you're not going to need ANY more alternators just because you run ONE Autotek MM 4000.1D amp. If I could afford ONE Autotek MM 4000.1D amp or even a current model MM 3000.1D amp, I'd rather buy separate realistically-rated amps for front, rear, and subs and still have money left over. If you're one of those who spends all their money on bass but leaves the other full-range speakers alone, you're in for a big surprise.
In my honest opinion, NO ONE single amp on the planet would require more than one alternator.
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
I give up on this thread. Seems like you're convincing yourself that ONE amp is going to put out so much power that you need to run a bunch of alternators. I've seen 10,000 watt RMS systems than ran ONE alternator. You're only fooling yourself.
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Its not s mono block and I have read tons of reviews and no probles iv seen/read have u hurd one before and I have a kenwood amp and head unith as well and I have a jensen headunit wich was way cheaper and its spec r not as good as yhe kenwood but wau better in my opine and not trying to sound mean when I say this but name brand does not mean any thing any more and to honest nothing is better than another its all personal prefence have u ever hurd of hifonics if so the company that makes them make autotek and a bunch others and they r great all made by the same
acetone 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
like I said whay do u recomoned I do then/get
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
kenwood_nut - 10kW @ 12V - that's an alternator >800A.
Where do you get those?
Even though I am not into "sound systems" per se, I have seen multiple alternators - albeit rare.
But that design I mentioned with an additional 250A alternator to supply the audio IMO is quite acceptable - if not recommended (ie, independence; alternator redundancy etc).
A common large alternator size is 250A, hence a nominal 3,450W or 3600W full output @ 13.8V or 14.4V respectively. IE - probably enough to run 2kW output plus the rest of the vehicle (at reasonable RPM).
But 250A is way short of 4kW running at full output.
Now that I see that acetone isn't one of the usual idiots I deal with (nah - he's a special idiot Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 2 -- posted image. Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 2 -- posted image. - jest kidding - pls bear with me...).... eg - RMS is no issue to him - ie, he seems to naturally assume RMS Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 2 -- posted image. (unlike othersHooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 2 -- posted image.).
So I'll trust his situation and that he needs big Amps.
All I'd caution is the difference between a 4kW "true rated" amp at 4kW output (hence maybe ~5kW input) as opposed half-volume with its ~2.5kW input.
That alone HALVES the alternator's power requirement.
And if voltage is not an issue, then it's more a case of suitable batteries. IE - if output is the same at 12V or 11V etc as it is at 14.4V (and IMO it should be!), then he can do like your cited 10kW single alternator systems.   
Hooking Up 2 More Alternators - Page 2 -- posted image.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
4000watt system using it daily...not in WESTERN EUROPE matey.
The law would impound your car and in Switzerland arrest you within 5 minutes.
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic