Hooking Up 2 More Alternators

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 3:16 AM / IP Logged  
Maybe its for competitions.
Or maybe like me - if anyone ignores my first (two?) warning(s) whilst camping...
Put it this way, I can't action their complaints either - not if I can't hear them. (I know how to Thrash-out the ACDCers et al! Yep - I'm a DRI, but fair.)
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 3:25 AM / IP Logged  
Back on page 1 Peter, "I'm gonna (SIC) be running 4000w as a daily driver".
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 4:09 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, maybe he's on a farm....
Or profoundly deaf (and soon will be)**.
I'm just doing my bit to help the industries of the future - sight & hearing. And diet.
** reminds me of an old workplace doc I read - it was a noisy environment but workers "soon get used to that..."!! These days we call that deafness LOL!
But thanks Howard. I may caution, but I usually no longer question beyond a certain point...
acetone 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
Lmao am not going to crank up the volum at 4000rms when driving ok I might every know and then but hell where I live its pretty much a farm lol buy like I have said a million times can some one help me make a list of every thing I would do run this 4000rms system with no problems
kenwood_nut 
Stock Boy - Posts: 227
Stock Boy spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  
The MM 4000.1D is a mono block amp! And what scares me is that such a high output amp is not fan-cooled.
And yes, brand names DO make a difference. I didn't say Autotek was a cheap brand. We could argue about brands for days but that's not what you asked about so I'll back off.
Anyway, back to your 3 alternator question...
Do you really think it's worth all the money and work just to run one amplifier? Dude, you could get 10 times the sound quality with 2 or 3 amps rather than have so much bass nobody ever hears the mids or highs. And if you're hooked on the alternator thing, why not just buy a 250-amp or even 300-amp alternator rather than have more than one? It would be cheaper in the long run and wouldn't take up so much space. And remember, you can have 1 alternator or 10 alternators, but they will only be as good as the power and ground cables hooked up to them.
But if someone told you that amp is not a mono block amp, you might want to get your money back. It is. Just because you can hook 2 speakers up to it doesn't mean it's not a mono amp. It has NO channel separation, meaning it's not a "stereo" amp.
Again, I think you're going to regret all that bass if you don't have any mids or high to compliment the booming. But I see it all the time. I see (and feel) lots of people who go to the local swap meet, buy a pair of 15's and a huge amp, toss it all in the trunk and ride into the sunset. But they leave their full-range speakers hooked up to their head unit with no amps to them, so you hear absolutely NO mids or highs or any kind of clarity.
Good luck, man. I'm sure no matter what you decide, it's gonna shatter your ear drums. And hey, if you can afford to run 2 or 3 alternators and buy subs that can handle the 1-channel output of the MM4000.1D amp, more power to ya (no pun intended, LOL!). I just think there are many other choices instead of multiple alternators.
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  
kenwood_nut wrote:
Do you really think it's worth all the money and work just to run one amplifier?
IMO that's an interesting comment on a Forum where people spend heaps....
acetone wrote:
can some one help me make a list of every thing I would do run this 4000rms system with no problems
Yep - sure.
For starters I need to know what your average audio power consumption will be....
And what reserve time you want - ie, how many minutes running without charging (ie, engine off).   
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
And I can answer your last question Peter.
With the single battery it;s going to be about 10seconds before it cooks off!
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Fair go - even my 38AH lasts over minute on my 900A winch!
That should mean 3 minutes minimum at near full 4kW output... (or is it under 2 minutes? Trivia is so forgetful...)
So with a couple of 100AH batteries... though with a separate battery it won't matter (ie, cranking isolation), and with a $25 MW728 else Oatley kit (if the MW728 11.2V is too high for a low-voltage cut-off), even the audio batteries can be protected.
AFAIAConcerned, it's a mere power design issue. I don't care about the audio. (You know my view - I'm happy with the little I have. And if I were to for big quality audio, there is NO WAY I would use a 12V amp! (The amp's remote PSU would sit up front...) Except for camping sites.)
PS - goodnight!
acetone 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Around no less than 350 amps if im doing it right I took 4000/80%=5000/14=357 and would like 15 but probly asking to much their lol
oldspark 
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
No - the question was what your average audio power consumption will be....
Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic