viper 350 plus, actuators arizona

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
2ndchance 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
I'm looking for an opinion.
I have a 2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited-X 4-door with Automatic Transmission. It doesn't have power locks or power windows. Heck, it doesn't even have cruise control. I thought I could live without these things but quickly found out I was wrong. I need power locks.
So, I'm ordering 4 door lock actuators and instead of just getting a Keyless Entry unit, I figured I might as well get an alarm with Keyless Entry.
I'm a total newbie when it comes to this level of 12v stuff. My experience has been "Red to battery, black to ground, and stick a fuse somewhere on the red wire". Pretty basic wiring.
I spent 2.5 days installing and wiring heated seats for this Jeep and, for me, that was an accomplishment! I loved that feeling and want to continue on by tackling this project.
So, here are my questions:
1. Viper 350 Plus Is it worth the $70 for this entry level alarm with keyless entry? If not, can you suggest one?
2. I'm considering getting these 2-wire actuators off of EBAY. Can you recommend a more reliable actuator?
3. Lastly I'm going to want a proximity sensor since my Jeep is a soft-top. Found this on EBAYas well.
I figure that I would tackle installing the door actuators first, running the wires to location I want to mount my alarm, then tackle the alarm.
Looking forward to seeing your responses.
Also, if any of you guys are in Arizona and can lend a hand, please speak up. I will pay for my education. I have beer and cash!
viper 350 plus, actuators arizona -- posted image.
12v newbie
tommy... 
Gold - Posts: 1,901
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
One suggestion would be to make the connections for the doors removable/dis-connectable...I have done some on older wranglers...If your doors come off...You want to be able to easily dis-connect the wiring for removal of doors...! Just a thought...But it is now past my bedtime...! Good luck on the install...!
M.E.C.P & First-Class
Go slow and drink lots of water...Procrastinators' Unite...Tomorrow!
2ndchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
Crud... ebay links didn't come through.
The ebay item number for the door actuator is: 230552134499
The eBay item number for the proximity senor is: 160492441318
12v newbie
2ndchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:53 PM / IP Logged  
tommy... wrote:
One suggestion would be to make the connections for the doors removable/dis-connectable...I have done some on older wranglers...If your doors come off...You want to be able to easily dis-connect the wiring for removal of doors...! Just a thought...But it is now past my bedtime...! Good luck on the install...!
That's a big 10-4 on the removable doors. I found some waterproof 2-wire connectors for that purpose. I may go with a 4-wire connector, just in case I feel the need for power windows, too.
12v newbie
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  
they're cable locks on that. you'll either have to get creative or order the dei 524cl.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
2ndchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2010 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
zerepdivad wrote:
they're cable locks on that. you'll either have to get creative or order the dei 524cl.
Seriously!?! Aw, poo. Ok, one more thing to add to my shopping list.
Thanks.
12v newbie
2ndchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2010 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so my order has been placed.
I ordered two sets of the DEI524CL cable lock adaptors, 4 door actuators and the alarm. I'm going to order the proximity sensor once I get the alarm in hand. I have to make sure that I can use it. I've been having trouble downloading the Viper install manual from Viper's web site.
I found my wiring info for my jeep and relay wiring info for the actuators on this site, too.
I'm still looking for someone local that may be able to lend a hand. I found the link for local installers but most of the contact information is outdated. Man, that list REALLY needs to be updated!
12v newbie
jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2010 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
Adding actuators to all doors will require relays to activate the actuators via the door lock/unlock harness. It can be done but will take some time and work. Your best bet would be to take the jeep somewhere and have them install the actuators and then just run the wires out the door grommets...leaving the wires loose under the dash to make the connections. I had a place do that for a truck alarm install I did that needed power locks. I didn't want to mess with that part of it. Prox sensors on Ebay average $35 bucks. You might get a cheaper one if you really look hard... just make sure it is brand new and not open. I do have an extra prox sensor but I need to fix or replace the wiring harness on it.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2010 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  
If you use 2 wire actuators, then you will need two relays, or a DEI 451 module.
Alternatively get a Viper 1002, built in relays, you should get the install guide with the alarm.
As for a prox, why not the DEI 508d, it plugs straight into the 1004.
Lastly, I'd never be happy about a FleaBay purchase.
2ndchance 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 23, 2010 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
I made the purchase with # and I asked their alarm tech about the 1002 and not needing the 451 module. He said if the car already has power locks then you don't need it. If you're adding actuators then the 451 is still required.
Just in case, I went ahead and upgraded to the 1002 AND purchased the 451 module. I can always return it/resell it later, I guess.
I will be adding the 508b prox unit. I found one for $20. :)
As for ebay, I've only been failed three times in my 12 years of using ebay. The key is to shop smart, buy form people who is willing to take your phone call, and always pay with Paypal.
12v newbie
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic