Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
x3!
2ndchance 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, so I was speaking to an installer and asked about how he does his connections. He said that he used the Poke and Wrap Technique(PWT). He said that it was the industry preferred method for making connections. He continued to say that he then wraps it with tape and zip-ties the connection.
I did a search online and found a verbage on VehicleInstallers.com which reads, "The poke and wrap technique (PWT) is the industry preferred method of connecting GPS vehicle tracking systems to a vehicles wiring harness. It can be used to connect just about any electronic component but generally going to be used on commercial service and delivery vehicles with a high turnover rate. Installation of custom sound, audio, video or satellite radio is best done by soldering all connections. The PWT technique ensures a constant and secure connection for the life of the vehicles while still offering a fairly quick removal."
This verbage was referencing installation of commercial GPS tracking devices in work trucks, which allows them to quickly replace damaged GPS units or move GPS units when a vehicle is replaced.
My search has determined that he is being truthful. With that said, am I being stupid in considering it?
12v newbie
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 08, 2011 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
i do that method in addition to solder. any less in my opinion is just being lazy.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
Actually we DON'T solder to any CAN wiring on the main OBD because it will affect the diagnostics, apart from that X 2 with Z.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
In fact DEI do CAN dedicated alarms for European vehicles and they recommend the same point, that we go to the BCM CAN wires rather than the OBD CAN. ALWAYS SOLDER.
2ndchance 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: April 04, 2011 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
Well, this project is over. I finally had the alarm installed tonight. We soldered some connections, crimped with waterproof butt connectors, and t-tapped some smaller wires that are well hidden and up high. Man, what a pain in the ass!
Thanks to everyone for their help!
12v newbie
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic