icon

what security to sell

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
allen101 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  
I have installed alarms since 1996 in Houston. I installed mainly code alarm and clifford, but I have also installed prestige, alpine and viper. In 2004 I stopped full- time installing to go into the Home Theater business. Now I moved back home and nobody installs alarms in 50 square miles. I will be installing for Dealerships, Automotive repair shops and the Public. Since I have been out of the full-time alarm installing business for 6 years. Im looking for suggestions from everyone here.  I need an alarm that is reliable, installer friendly, good tech support, also something a dealership would except and popular with the regular consumer. I will have to buy wholesale for now but  just " maybe "  become an authorized dealer for one day. Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post and helping me find an alarm to sell and install.  
cjanke 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 20, 2010 at 8:31 PM / IP Logged  
code alarm and prestige paired with the flashlogic bypass modules and you cant go wrong. great price points, great features for the money. lets face it we are all in buisness to make money make the most you can. there are going to a bunch of people saying dei but there are far better values out there and are just as reliable if not more. the flashlogic/ idatalink bypass modules are second to none. way better than anything dei has to offer.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
I agree with cjanke. Omega might be another one to add to the list. I think they work pretty good....not too many problems with them. Some of their remotes might not be so appealing compared to other brands, so it all depends on what you plan on using. I would use their alarm and remote starter upgrade systems though.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  

cleanest way to install/setup is the compustar and idatalink blade.

has every solution possible, but since you been out the install game for awhile, have you understood bypasses and new data/can vehicles?

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  
I'd go DEI personally. Everyones heard of Viper. quality is good In My Opinion.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
allen101 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you guys so much for your suggestions. When I decide on a company to go with. I will try to sell and install systems from that company only and the bypass modules that they use for their systems. The next step for me, would be to get in touch with that company or a local rep for them. Hopefully ( with fingers crossed ) I can become an Authorized dealer or suggest an authorized wholesaler.  One feature i do miss, is being able to call a Tech Department on the phone for an emergency installation problem.

Cjanke- Thank you again, I have always been a fan of Code alarm. The other day I installed an APS787c from Prestige and a pkfm from xpresskit. The alarm worked great, easy to install but I have 2 complaints. The antenna/led/valet switch all in one location and the programming features what a mess.

tedmond-  Thank you again, I have'nt had the privilege yet to install a Compustar. I have only heard good things about their systems. The only dealer is 50 miles away from me. So hopefully they will be easier to deal with than Audiovox. I have installed a few bypass modules W2W from xpresskit but i have not tried the data-link port or D2D. I will definitely start once Im back in the game full-speed and educate myself. I have yet to install a Canbus module, I do know this module isn't necessary to install an aftermarket alarm, I can wire in all the circuits individually using relays and diodes and whatever other complexity is necessary in order to get all the features working (door locks, pin switches, hatch release, etc). However, if I do use the canbus module, most of the circuits I need are provided so I don't have to go tapping wires everywhere in the car and splicing in relays, diodes, etc. I have read this module will be harder to troubleshoot as it uses digital CAN comms that can't be tested in any way, shape, or form.  With a standard alarm system install I can test each individual digital input/output for functionality.

zerepdivad- Thank you again, viper is another great alarm. They are easy to install, awesome reliability, everyone has heard of them. I like their tech department alot but I think I can only use it if Im an authorized dealer. They also would like authorized dealers to install their systems, unless you know otherwise. I dont do enough business to be a Viper authorized dealer

cjanke 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
So what company did you go with? Yes the programming for audiovox SUCKS. That is one of the reasons I went with code instead, the programming was way easier. Other than that the audiovox units are very feature pack for the money.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2010 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
I think its easy to program Audiovox units. Takes a little getting used to tho.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 26, 2010 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
DEI, Audiovox/Code-Alarm, Compustar...if you have been in the business for a while you will know that the main "quality" difference in these brands is almost always the "quality" of the installation, NOT the product itself.
DEI is a PITA if you are not an authorized dealer. You will get no support from them what so ever if you are not authorized.
I can not speak for Compustar as I have only installed a hand full of their products, they have all worked flawlessly but I find DEI to be easier.
Audiovox can be a pain to program, but once you get used to their 'logic' it becomes much simpler. What's nice about Audiovox is they offer their entire wiring database to anyone who wants to use it for free. Click here to see their site, and register. No other big-company offers this to my knowledge.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
cjanke 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2010 at 12:22 PM / IP Logged  

Once i got used to the progeamming it was pretty  easy. What confused me at first was the parking lights  flashing  as you are changing options and it means nothing you have to watch the led flashes. Once I got used to that it was easy. I still like code better even though they are almost the same as audiovox.

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic