the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

pkall not bypassing rx300

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shortcircuit161 
Silver - Posts: 556
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 7:39 AM / IP Logged  
I have searched the forums and many places online and have not found what I need. I'm hoping someone can help me.
I installed a remote start (Autostart AS-2775)on a 2000 RX300 with a PKALL bypass module.
I wired everything according to the Xpresskit directions. To program it, I also followed the Xpresskit directions. I held the button down, plugged in connector 2, then connector 1, LED lit solid, released button, inserted black master remote key into ignition cylinder and did not turn. About 2 seconds later, the PKALL LED flashed 10 times as it was supposed to telling me the chip info from the black key was learned. This vehicle also needs connector 3 attached to the PKALL to allow the key to turn the car on when the bypass module isn't being used.
I thought all was good until I tried remote starting it. The starter will just keep cranking and the LED on the PKALL just flashes constantly. I have used other PK/XK bypasses before and the LED is usually lit solid when the status wire becomes active from the remote starter. I'm not sure if the PKALL acts the same way. I confirmed all my wiring was correct for both ignition wires from the remote starter and the bypass module harnesses. I even tried swapping the TX/RX wires to no avail. To confirm the problem is with the bypass module, I removed connector 1 and 2 from the PKALL and put the black key in the ignition (without turning it) and engaged the remote starter. The car started right up!! I even tried the valet (gray) key and it also started right away. I do NOT want to leave a spare key in a 556U or similar universal bypass.
Can anyone please help? I am open to any and all suggestions. Does anyone have a successful install with the same vehicle and PKALL?
I greatly appreciate any help provided. Thank you.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 9:11 AM / IP Logged  

Where did you connect the (-) While Running wire?   Did you wire in W2W mode?

The PKALL is basically a re-badged Fortin Key-Override-All.  While the wire colors might be slightly different, the connector and pin positions are the same.  Take a look at the Fortin install guide for your car and their programming procedure :  https://ifar.ca/download/719/preview.html 

Soldering is fun!
shortcircuit161 
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
I connected it to the status blue/black wire from the remote start. I also tested that wire to make sure it shows (-) right before the remote start attempts to crank the engine. I did connect it W2W and triple checked every connection with my DMM. I only tested for continuity from the harnesses to my connection at the Immobilizer harness as I can't test the actual data stream.
I will look at the diagram from Fortin and see if I missed something that wasn't on the PKALL instructions.
Thank you for the quick reply. Anything else I can check?
shortcircuit161 
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
I will say the instructions for the Fortin bypass are identical with the exception of the programming section. The instructions for the PKALL aren't as descriptive and actually missed one step (plugging in connector 3) before releasing the button to program. I will try that later today. I think I may start looking into geting Fortin bypasses if they are just rebadged as DEI.
I greatly appreciate the information.
If that doesn't work, any other ideas or suggestions?
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2010 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  

Going by the recent posts on the PKALL and programming problems encountered, I am glad my primary bypass module is iDatalink.  If you are looking at other bypass modules, check out the offerings from iDatalink.  Been using them for years with no issues.  http://www.idatalink.com/helpdesk/

The PKALL does have a restriction on the number of times it can be programmed.  Here is a link to check to see if it is already programmed and  or locked : https://ifar.ca/en/support/products/55-key-override-all_programming_diagnostics.html

Here is another bit of info for Toyota / Lexus bypass issues : https://ifar.ca/en/support/products/47-key-override_appears_to_program_but_toyota_lexus_will_not_remote-start.html

Soldering is fun!
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

i don't remember ever needing connector 3 on a Toyota with a PKALL..... if it does need it you have to be sure to get it plugged in BEFORE the LED comes on and you slide the key in....

that is a fast LED... i usually sit the other harnesses in their appropriate connectors without pushing them in... then after i plug in the power connector i quickly shove in the other harness(es) before the LED comes on... then release the programming switch.....it you don't it wont program.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
shortcircuit161 
Posted: December 22, 2010 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  
The connector 3 for this Lexus is used to complete the circuit for the 2 wires that i had to cut so the factory key will still work. Doesn't make sense to me either. I will try that method you suggested kgerry. And thanks as well kreg357 for the info on the idatalink modules and the other toyota/lexus info. I had looked into those but always thought DEI products would have surpassed the others. I guess not.
I have ordered some DEI 555F "pellet" bypasses in the meantime just in case I can't get this PKALL to work. And I will never another PKALL again. I will definitely purchase some idatalink from now on and see how well they work.
Thanks again for everyone's help. I will post with an update in a day or so once I try the suggestion of plugging the other connectors quickly.
Happy Holidays!!
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 23, 2010 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
555F will give you nothing but grief.... you should be able to get the PKALL working.. i use lots of them with no issues... although on these early Toyota & Lexi i use a ADS-TB from Idata... they work fine for me every time
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
shortcircuit161 
Posted: January 14, 2011 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you so much for everyone's help. I greatly appreciate it. I don't really know what I was doing wrong with the PKALL but I was able to successfully program the 555F and the remote starter works like a charm now. Another happy customer. As for the PKALL, since it will allow programming twice, I was able to use it on another vehicle without a hitch. Happy New Year to All!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic