icon

Viper 5901, ’06 Dodge Ram

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
opelap 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

If you have the black remote with the lock, unlock, and panic built in, you have the transponder key.

My 06 Ram was built in Jan 06 and it has it.  It is wireless so the fact that there is no connection from the electronics to the key means nothing.

There is a big square box called the SKIM that is part of the ignition switch that recieves the signal.

If you still do not believe, take apart the key, leave all the electronics at least 6 ft away from the truck and start it.  It will start, but will shut itself off soon after.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
Right that's what, three people who've posted virtually the same comment, come on Sullivan you keep telling us how good you are, try it rather than talking about it.
sullivan91 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
ok but do i really need two keys? or could i trick it by using the same key?
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
opelap wrote:

If you have the black remote with the lock, unlock, and panic built in, you have the transponder key.

My 06 Ram was built in Jan 06 and it has it.  It is wireless so the fact that there is no connection from the electronics to the key means nothing.

There is a big square box called the SKIM that is part of the ignition switch that recieves the signal.

If you still do not believe, take apart the key, leave all the electronics at least 6 ft away from the truck and start it.  It will start, but will shut itself off soon after.

What do you suggest I do? I only have one key, I purchased the XK532 which requires two keys. The dipstick who sold me the truck 4 months ago never found the other key. Can I trick it, or should I buy another key, hopefully its not too expensive?
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you could "trick it" by using one key then why would they say you need 2 keys to program?
an flcan properly flashed properly will do one key programming.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
opelap wrote:
Just buy the CHALL and CHTH2 cable from amazon or ebay.
Just put one in my 06. Four splices, one cut wire, one grounded wire and it is running perfectly.
If you do not want to spend the $80 to $90 it will cost the get the CHALL and adapter cable, the spend the $250 to get it installed.
These trucks have caused major issues when wiring direct.
i am going to buy the chall and the chth2 i guess.
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  
Ugh, makes me soo mad, the xk532 just showed up.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Going to the dealer and getting a second key made & programmed isn't a bad idea.  You could use the XK532 and have a spare key just in case.  If the previous owner promised two keys with the sale, give him the bill.
Soldering is fun!
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Before I make another dumb purchase, its either the DBALL or the CHALL with CHTH2 cable.
DBALL: $60.00
CHALL w/ CHTH2: $95.00-100.00
opelap 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  

Your choice, either one will work as long as the DBALL is flashed with the correct firmware.  There is only one firmware for the CHALL so it is not a worry.

The DBALL will require hooking up a few more wires, but you don't seem adverse to that.

Head on over to xpresskit.com and look at both install guides and make your choice.

Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic