icon

prestige aps25c, 2011 nissan sentra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
craigmri 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2011 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, getting ready to install a Prestige APS25C in my sons new 2011 Nissan Sentra. While I have installed keyless entrys in the past, I've never installed a full alarm/keyless system.
I have found a document that suggests what and where to tap but I have some questions......
1) Obviously the siren installs in the engine compartment and the brain goes under the dash somewhere but where is the best location for the shock sensor?
2) I never feel totally confident with those 3M quick tap thingies. Are there any other methods for easy tap-ing or will I be soldering? If I solder, whats the best method to strip a harness wire to I can solder the alarm wire on without cutting the car harness wire?
If anyone has any advice for me regarding any part of the install I would greatly appreciate it.
Craig
Brooksville, FL
x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2011 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  
you want to mount the shock sensor to the firmest thing possible. I like to tie strap it to metal if possible. If not then a thick wire harness will do.
If you want to solder then invest in a pair of side/automatic strippers. They will strip the insulation and leave the wire intact.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 04, 2011 at 8:47 PM / IP Logged  

) Obviously the siren installs in the engine compartment and the brain goes under the dash somewhere but where is the best location for the shock sensor?

i always use zip ties and connect it to a large harness, never had any problems with sensitivity.

2) I never feel totally confident with those 3M quick tap thingies. Are there any other methods for easy tap-ing or will I be soldering? If I solder, whats the best method to strip a harness wire to I can solder the alarm wire on without cutting the car harness wire?

solder your connections, its the best way. get yourself a good pair of wire strippers, make 2 cuts with the wire stripper, about half an inch from one another, then use a knife (olfa) and cut from one end to the other of each wire cut. Peel the insulation back and connect your wire/solder.

Tape it up with 3m superscotch 33+, sure its expensive but your "normal" electrical tape isnt cold weather friendly

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
craigmri 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 7:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the reply guys! Got the alarm and am about to move forward with the installation. One last confusion before I can continue and it relates to the starter interrupt. There is a relay I need to wire in. I basically cut the starter solenoid wire coming from the ignition switch and wire it to the appropriate relay connections. The alarm sends the relay a ground signal and finally I have to send the relay a Ignition switched 12V.
According to the attached document, is it the White Starter wire I cut? In addition, will I use the yellow ignition wife to provide the 12V for the relay?
Sentra Wiring
Thanks in advance guys!
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 06, 2011 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  

According to the attached document, is it the White Starter wire I cut?

Yes. 

In addition, will I use the yellow ignition wife to provide the 12V for the relay?

Yes.

Based on the Relay Audiovox provides with its Alarm Systems,   wire the relay as follows:

Pin 85 (Red) to Sentra Ignition (Yellow)

Pin 86 (Orange) to Orange Ground When Armed of APS25C

Pin 30 (BLACK/ White) to Sentra White (Key Cylinder side of cut wire)

Pin 87a (Black) to Sentra White (Starter Motor side of cut wire)

Lectric Guy
craigmri 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 3:31 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you Lectric!!!
Craig
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  

if Howie II read this, he would have wanted you to wire it ISO standards.

85 - ground when running/starter kill output (-) from unit

86 - ignition (+)
87a - starter wire cut key side (towards key cylinder)
30 - starter wire cut motor side (towards engine bay)

Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
craigmri 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
Ted,
Are you sure I should wire that way? According to the relay and Audiovox doc it says otherwise....Or am I missing something?
Craig
prestige aps25c, 2011 nissan sentra -- posted image.prestige aps25c, 2011 nissan sentra -- posted image.
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  

I went through this with Howie on a previous post (link below).   Audiovox's relay socket has a built-in diode across 85 & 86, with the Cathode (band) toward 85; As a result, power must be on Pin 85(Red), and GWA on Pin 86(Orange)--Do Not reverse the recommended wiring of these leads on the Audiovox socket.

Pins 87a & 30 could be changed if you wanted, no impact.

The proper wiring for the Sentra application is listed here, which is consistant with Audiovox's install guide and the same as my earlier post:

Pin 85 (Red) to Sentra Ignition (Yellow)

Pin 86 (Orange) to Orange Ground When Armed of APS25C

Pin 30 (BLACK/ White) to Sentra White (Key Cylinder side of cut wire)

Pin 87a (Black) to Sentra White (Starter Motor side of cut wire)

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=121349&KW=lectricguy

Lectric Guy
craigmri 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
OK I think I have a better understanding now....Your both right! I checked a bosch document. Howie is right on that ordinarily ground and 12V of the coil side are interchangeable with one exception....if there is a diode across them which there is so your right Lectric!
Thanks for all your help with this. Its been a while since I exercised my electrical theory.
I'll be sure to follow up tomorrow with the progress of the install.
Craig
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic