do it yourselfers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
renswic 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Renswic, read my by-lines, to which I should also add "planning and preparation."
In 95% of the installs, I've got everything planned and positioned as soon as I look at the vehicle.
I was mostly replying to the OP and anyone else ripping on DIYers and offering in site as to why I do it. :)
Prep work was a major part of my RS/Alarm install, I did have a installer friend help me to figure out what wires to pull from the harness and was kind enough to be on call for advice. If not for that I don't think I'd have been able to do it. Tis the smaller reason why I'll pay an installer to do the next one I get.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry, not having a go at you, reading between the lines I liked your attitude. Listen, learn, prepare, do.
renswic 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2011 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Sorry, not having a go at you, reading between the lines I liked your attitude. Listen, learn, prepare, do.
No troubles. :)
For the most part doing my own installs is great. Number one perk is that if something is wrong, I know how to trouble shoot and fix it. I. E. the amp(sub) is cutting out going over bumps in my s10.
Having installed it I'm pretty sure I know the problem and will be able to fix it next time it is warm and dry enough to pull a seat out of it.*
The 5701 in my s10 is having some odd problems and yes I'm always bugging my installer friend about it and again when it is warmer and dryer I'll triple check my wiring on it to be sure.
Working on my cars is a lot of fun for me and doing the small audio stuff and the RS/Alarm has thought me a lot about the electrical systems in cars.
*The Alpine IDA-X305S has the sub RCAs mounted on it and not on a tail(my old sony had a 6 inch lead for the sub rcas). Makes for a stupidly tight fit on my s10 so I tried to swap to right angle rca ends on my cable. I'm pretty sure the swap has failed. Replacement cable going in when I have a chance.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2011 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
Either that or a bad power/ground connect5ion or sin of sins, a dry joint on the amp.
renswic 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2011 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
Either that or a bad power/ground connect5ion or sin of sins, a dry joint on the amp.
Checked all that. Considering that I used these(I was in a hurry and they were all I could get asap) http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productid=2103789
I'm betting it is them. As is I need to do some work behind the trim panel that covers the radio area so I have a reason(or excuse) to pull it as well.
Going to take a heat gun and make some "adjustments" to the ac vents that is blocking me from having more room. :)
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2011 at 6:29 AM / IP Logged  
So you cut your phono leads, or RCA or "cinch" as the French call them and resolderd? Check those joints, I ALWAYS buggered them up doing that, also test to see if any speaker leads go to ground on bumps.
The trick was to keep your original leads and buy PLUG-IN r/angle adaptors.
renswic 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2011 at 7:45 PM / IP Logged  
howie ll wrote:
So you cut your phono leads, or RCA or "cinch" as the French call them and resolderd? Check those joints, I ALWAYS buggered them up doing that, also test to see if any speaker leads go to ground on bumps.
The trick was to keep your original leads and buy PLUG-IN r/angle adaptors.
No they had screw on contacts(like I said I was in a hurry). Worked really good for about 8 months then started acting up.
Eather way moot point now. My new RCAs are in. also was able to extend the cable for my antenna so I got it ran at the same time. Factory one didn't work* so I added one to my unused roll bar light mount and was waiting for an extra 5 feet of cable to hook it up. it ran the same route as the rca so both got done.
*Discovered why it didn't work while I was pulling the cable out. At some point the last owners managed to slice it almost in half.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 16, 2011 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry but I do NOT agree. I try to help people as much as possible and find that MOST individuals STILL find it too complicated to handle and/or still manage to screw it all up and BECAUSE I was willing to advise them, I end up being the FIRST person shop they come to to get it all worked out... By the way, MY shop has been doing great. 12 years strong. MOST failure is due to poor management or resources. I.E. inadequate advertising and/or money management.
Gary Sather
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2011 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
That's fine but would you give wiring info to a member of the public and you've no idea of their capabilities? These days that's asking for a liability action, fine if you get them into your workshop and do something for a modest fee, that's good practice and a way to capture future customers. So I'm generally agreeing with you.
With the competence of some rookies on this site; read the recent Honda posts, I'm glad our (free) advice carries no liability.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2011 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  
As some wise one wrote:
Who Said? wrote:
...the amount of work we, er, they - generate thru DIYers that stuff up more than they save. (That is really what this site is for - generating work for installers!)
Though another wiser one writed of a possible aversion to bad gramar, punctuation. or speling as to why DIYers do DIY and not go professional. Dont now what that means but.
Though these sites can cause damage or trouble, they prevent more damage and trouble.
I think it's like seat-belts - safer than they are dangerous. Hence a nett gain, hence often compulsory.
I think of law suits here against the government for their incompetent legislation regarding driver licensing. 120 hours "practice" with any experience licensed driver. That's despite over 95% of Aussie drivers NOT knowing the round-about rule. As to defensiveness... ha! Except for the politicians. (Literally! Our federal opposition leader thought nothing wrong after his car slowed to do a cross lane turn from the center of a straight strip if single lane major highway. Unfortunately the truck(s) etc involved hit the ditches rather than the friggin idiots.)
Sorry - I digress.
Not that anyone is immune from suits - even us - but their are bigger damages out there.
But we can simply shut up. (That's what I did & do in some circles. But I try to laugh despite the tragedies.)
Anyhow, it seems like repetition of opinions that vary despite the same conditions. (Each case is individual...?)
PS - I forgot to comment about that Honda. Some advice is risky - the advice is sound, but if it spurs someone into action....
Reminds me of people that change engine oil for the first time and drain the gearbox instead. The wreck the gearbox and might blow the engine all because someone advised them how to save money. Damned greedy mechanics!
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic