icon

3 way front stage

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j.reed 
Copper - Posts: 716
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2011 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
I am wanting to try a bi-amped 3-way front stage. I will be using 2 Audioque 4x90s and build custom door panels to house the 3-way. Speakers and crossover plans are why Im here. Trying to figure out an economical set up and crossover setup that will fit my needs. which is plenty of output and good lower extension I have just not found in a 2-way system.
The plan so far is to use a 6 1/2"-8" woofers bridged to one of the 4 channel amps and then use the other 4 channel for the 2"-4 1/2" midrange and 1" tweets.
With the amp I can electronically BP crossover the woofer using the sub-sonic filter and the high pass cutoff it goes up to 450hz. Where Im confused is in the mid range and tweet portion. Would it be best to just use LP crossover electronically from the amp(I can go HP filter here and go as low as 45Hz) to match the woofer and go passive HP on the midrange and a passive LP for the tweeter?
Also Im not sure where I would really want these cuts from woofer to mid and tweeter. I know everyone has a bit different opinion on this as well as you also want to match the selected speakers to each other and cross around where they are going to work best.
I have been looking at even a using a tangband or dayton sub for the woofer portion because they seem to go high enough in frequency to work and come in 4ohm. then go from there and try to match up the mid and tweet. Anyone have suggestions or crossover points? help from those that have done a 3-way front stage in this manner? Speaker recommendations?
3 way front stage -- posted image.
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 01, 2011 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
Forgot to mention too. I will be using 4 DC lvl4 xl 15s and 2 aq3500.1s to handle the lows.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2011 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
I'd active high pass the mid and use a passive between the mid and tweet.  The Tang band 6.5" subs do not sound very good above about 200Hz.  I suggest something like a Vifa PL18 or a Scan 18W, or check out the Exodus Anarchy woofer, which I am currently using in some new home theater designs.
Support the12volt.com
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2011 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
I'd active high pass the mid and use a passive between the mid and tweet.  The Tang band 6.5" subs do not sound very good above about 200Hz.  I suggest something like a Vifa PL18 or a Scan 18W, or check out the Exodus Anarchy woofer, which I am currently using in some new home theater designs.
Thats pretty much the idea on the crossover I was having. Just didn't know how WELL it would work. Would love a full active setup, but I don't think I can afford it(right now anyway). I was also worried about using a sub for that reason. Thanks for the suggestions I will be looking into them for sure. I have been wanting to build my own 3-way for quite some time. There are just SO many options that I get a bit over whelmed lol. Kinda like a kid in the candy store.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2011 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
IMO passives work just as well as active crossovers, it's just they are trickier to design and implement.  Once you pick a mid-woof and tweet, let me know and I'll make a suggestion for ya.
Support the12volt.com
j.reed 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2011 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Im liking that Anarchy woofer. Looks like it would do the trick nicely. Could not find the Vifi woofer you listed. I did find what i think is a newer version neo motor(Vifa NE180W-04 6-1/2" Full Range Woofer)? Honestly the midrange and tweeter portion are what is driving me nuts. Not sure what to really look for here. Especially because i have always used component sets and the stock passive crossovers. Soldering doesn't bother me at all and i think i can build a crossover if giving a little guidance. I know there is more than enough wealth of knowable persons here to help out. Any input of midrange and tweets, in all ears.
DYohn 
Posted: February 03, 2011 at 3:55 PM / IP Logged  

Here's an autosound tweet I like a lot and use in my current vehicle setup:  Seas Prestrige autosound tweeter 

The Anarchy sounds great through the midrange and I am using them in some home theater 2-way systems crossed at around 2800Hz.  For a 3-way, here's a decent sounding mid-woof: GR M130.  This is my current favorite midrange that I use over and over again: CSS WR125  and this one looks interesting although I've never used it: Tang Band Neo mid

Pick a mid and a tweet and send me the specs and I'll cook up a proposed crossover circuit for you.

Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic