icon

04 dodge ram diesel wiring?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
greytd 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

04 dodge ram diesel. installing nustart nuas4502 with cm6000 brain. I also got the blade-al-ch6 module (flashed). Do I need to use a resistor for the park lights when using the wire from cn3 pin3 to WHITE/ ltgreen headlight switch and what value? Also same question for the door locks. My documention shows only connecting the blade wire(pin 12 yellow) to the main door lock wire (PURPLE / dkgreen behind driver kick panel) there is no mention of having to use resistors of any kind.

Tks for any info.

brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2011 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  

The (-)Negative PARKING LIGHTS are a (-)Negative thru a 330 Ohm Resistor on the 2004

the Door Locks are a 1-Wire System, the LOCK requires a (-)Negative thru a 820 Ohm Resistor and UNLOCK requires a (-)Negative thru a 330 Ohm Resistor, some units will also require 2 extra relays to a chasis ground- and not the ground that comes out of the R/S.

Just a side thought- I did two 2004 Dodge Rams about 6 yrs ago- I'll never forget- Both had severe electrical issues- One even came back 1 yr later with a hole burnt in the brain box of the R/S and the driver complaint of electrical smoke and burn smell.

After much investigation- I found that Dodge Ram designs their blower motor circuit unlike most any other manufacturers.  They do NOT use a high speed relay for the blower motor- since they adjust fan speed with resistors all on the GROUND side of the circuit instead of the postive side. This allows up to full amperage to be pulled through the internal relay of the brain box- when blower motor is on high speed.  I was disappointed that the 30 amp input fuse did not blow- rather the internal relay got hot and melted a hole clear through the plastic brain box.  I called the manufacturer and they told me that Dodge has had ignition switchs burn up for this same reason-- so I replaced the brain box and added an external relay for the accessory output.  I don't like the idea of pulling the high amperage of a blower motor running on high speed through a small set of contacts inside a brain box.  Plus as blower motors get older and wear, they tend to pull more amps- making it worse.  You can bet that that tiny relay inside the brain box will heat up after 24+ minutes of R/S run time when the blower motor is on high speed.

From now on- I always look at OEM wiring diagram and determine if there is a high speed blower motor relay in the circuit- if not- then I use an external relay- better to burn up an external relay, (or its fuse) then to smoke a brain....I figure

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
greytd 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the heads up about the blower motor. Got it installed. door locks and park lights work fine. Problem having now is it will not remote start. Must have missed a wire some where. ugh

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic