icon

viper 5701, xk01, 2004 tahoe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bndawgs 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2011 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Installed a viper 5701 along with an XK01 module in my 2004 tahoe.
Have two issues now.
First one:
When I remote start the truck, it starts up and then dies right away. It will try this 3 times and then it stops.
I hooked up the tach wire at the instrument cluster and I also did the tach learn with the valet button.
Just wondering do I need to change the tach setting on the viper brain?
Second issue:
For the front door triggers, I hooked up the viper H1/8 green wire to the XK01 violet/white wire. For the rear doors, I hooked up the XK01 pink wire to both rear door wires at the purple bcm plug.
Now, whenever I open up the rear doors, the truck alarm starts sounding and the only way to get it to stop is to hit the panic button on the oem remote.
Any ideas on these issues from the experts? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.
pitoaudiovisual 
Copper - Posts: 388
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
First make sure that the truck learned the tach it should flash saying that it was programmed but it will give a sequence to let u know if the tach is good or bad. The best tach is at the fuel injector which is any wire that is not pink. As far as the alarm going off you have to connect the factory disarm wire so that your viper can turn it off.
Confidence is the key to any project!!
bndawgs 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 12:14 PM / IP Logged  
I did do the tach learning through the valet switch. And it blinked to say it was programmed.   Does my truck use less than 12 volts to start? Maybe I need to switch the tach threshold jumper?
I'm wondering if maybe I need to hook up the h2/1 and h2/2 wires for the factory arm/disarm? Currently I don't since I thought the module is handling that function.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  

General question:  Did you flash the XK01 with AMDL Ver 6.01 firmware?  Did it program to the Tahoe OK?

On the Tach issue:  Did you change Viper  Menu 3, Menu Item 2 to Option 4?  Did you verify the Tach wire with a DMM?  Then do

the Tach Learn process?

For the rear door triggers: Connect the rear door triggers from the BCM along with the XK01 Violet/White

to Viper 5701 H1/8 Green wire.  Diode isolate all three wires. 

Follow the Diagram but use the XK01 Violet/White wire (for the front doors) and the two rear door trigger wires going to the Viper H1/8.

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/30607_YUKON_(-)%20NEGATIVE%20DOOR%20PIN%20ISOLATION%20CIRCUIT.pdf 

(The DRIVERS REAR DOOR is a LIGHT BLUE/BLACK (-) Pin A3 and the PASSENGERS REAR DOOR is a LIGHT GREEN/ BLACK (-)

Pin A2, both are located at the BCM, PURPLE plug.)

Soldering is fun!
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
I would try the changing of the tach jumper.  I was always having problems getting my Ford Taurus to do the tach. It would learn it but not use it until I changed the tach jumper.  As Kreg357 mentioned the brain needs to be set for tach, so don't forget to check that also.
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
bndawgs 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2011 at 9:39 PM / IP Logged  
well, i think this POS module is done. Tried to get it programmed, but it wouldn't start the programming sequence.
I unplugged it and then plugged it back in. The light didn't stay on red as the instructions say.
Was able to get it into programming mode and tried to reset it, which i think i did. but still was unable to get it blink the 4 times for my truck. And now i think it's just completely locked up as the led is on all the time and won't turn off or blink.
kreg, you could be right about the firmware version. Module just says AMDL, but no version #. Of course the ad says it comes with the most updated version. But I didnt buy it directly from xpresskit.
The reason I'm thinking it might not be v 6, is because it allowed me to do some of the features, such as locking/unlocking the doors with the alarm remote. But now that it's all locked up solid red, it won't let me lock the doors with the alarm remote.
So unless anyone has any other ideas, I guess I'm off to order a new module directly from xpresskits.
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 4:08 AM / IP Logged  

Have you made the XK01 wiring changes for the door trigger circuit?   The XK01 Pink wire should not be connected to anything, it is only used with Type 2 & 7 vehicle installs.

Did you get the Vipers' Tach programming changed and does the Tahoe start and stay running?  If it does, then the module is at least doing the bypass function.

I'm assuming you have the XK01 connected to the Viper via the D2D cable.  Check the bypass jumpers on the Viper, they should be set to horizontal.

Might be cheaper to buy the XKLoader USB cable and re-flash the one you have.  A re-flash will reset the module.   If you have a friendly auto shop locally, they might do it for you.  The firmware version may not be critical for a 2004 vehicle, the firmware updates are to support new vehicles and should still be downward compatible for older vehicles.  The firmware sticker on the module is what was loaded at the factory.  I have purchased "new old stock" from places where they were re-flashed with something else ( there are 13 different firmwares available for the XK01...) so I always verify ( and update ) the modules firmware with the XKLoader cable prior to use.

Personally, I am not a big fan of the XK01's or D2D wiring.  If you decide to get another module, take a look at the iDatalink ADS-ALSL GM, ADS-DLSL GM or ADS-DLSL GM1.   http://www.idatalink.com/support/helpdesk   The SOLO Series bypass modules ( orange box ) come pre-loaded with the correct firmware.  Connect the ADS bypass to the Viper in W2W mode.   Well written install guide that is easy to follow and very easy programming.

Soldering is fun!
bndawgs 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
So I did do the tach learn and the valet led stayed lit to confirm. But the truck still cut off right away. I do have it wired w2w though, but I just checked and the jumpers are horizontal. So there is one issue.
I originally wanted to get the idatalink, but I couldn't find it anywhere online here stateside. And I couldn't see paying $40 for shipping on a $50 item.
I tried to order it from some place in NY, but they never fulfilled my order or returned any emails.   Probably a scam website just to get my cc info. So don't bother ordering from installation products inc.
I might go with the idatalink if I could get it at a good price. But it would have to be worthwhile for me, since I already made quite a few connections with the xk01.
<--------   Stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night
bndawgs 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 8:08 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Have you made the XK01 wiring changes for the door trigger circuit?   The XK01 Pink wire should not be connected to anything, it is only used with Type 2 & 7 vehicle installs.

I haven't done anything with the rear doors yet.  I was wanting to get the RS working first, since I'm pretty sure that I had the two doors hooked up to the wrong wire and it would be a relatively easy fix.

<--------   Stayed at a Holiday Inn express last night
kreg357 
Posted: March 02, 2011 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

W2W is good.  If you are using W2W, the Vipers' D2D jumper position shouldn't matter.  Your connections should look like this:

XK01                    Viper / Tahoe

Black                Chassis ground  (Viper H1/5)
Red                  +12v constant (Viper H1/2)
Orange            (-) Disarm (Viper H2/1)
Violet                Tahoe ODB 2 Connector, Pin 2 (usually Violet)
Violet/White     (-) Door Trigger Input (Viper H1/8) ***see previous post to add rear doors
Blue                   (-) Unlock  (Viper Blue wire on 3 Pin Lock Connector)
Green                (-) Lock   (Viper Green wire on 3 Pin Lock Connector)
Brown                (-) 200mA Status Output (Blue wire)

Any security type lights on the dash?  The Tahoe starts OK with the key?

Soldering is fun!
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic