icon

re attaching alarm antenna to glass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
may03lt 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 06, 2011 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Greetings all! I had the windshield replaced in my truck. The glass installer had to remove the antenna (for the alarm/remote start) and attach it to the new one. The adhesive that he used to hold the antenna on didn't last long.
Is there any adhesive that works as good as the stuff that DEI uses for their antennas? Or should I be looking for a new antenna?
2003 Trailblazer LT
2007 Envoy SLT
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 06, 2011 at 11:01 PM / IP Logged  
3M Body Molding Tape, I always use rubbing alcohol to clean the glass before sticking on the antenna.
Most auto supply stores sell it, so does KMart.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2011 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
my favorite way to attach it is to use some of the clear velcro like stuff that is used for the electronic toll passes. if you dont know what i'm talking about just search the web for ezpass velcro and you can find some. if you do have such a toll pass you cna probably even get a few pieces as "replacement" from your toll authority for nothing.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2011 at 7:11 AM / IP Logged  
12, is that the same stuff DEI use?
I just keep "overs" handy.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 07, 2011 at 4:46 PM / IP Logged  
Howie II wrote:
12, is that the same stuff DEI use?
No, I don't think so...but every other type of double faced tape I have tried comes off in time. That stuff stays put...need a razor to take it off if applied properly.
I too keep all of the antennas not used on other installs and just swap it out when needed if I have the correct one sitting around. However, most people don't have a stock of them so I suggest the 3M stuff.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2011 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  
Just realised that red stuff is great on glass, but the only thing that seems to stick to porous plastic is velcro.
nismo542 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2011 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
i usually try to just tuck the antenna jusr inside the headliner or attach it behind the a pillar panel.  it make for a stealthy install.  you can get a roll of the 3m trim tape (thin gray kind) at adavance auto or you can find the same thing packaged differently at lowes at half the price. 
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2011 at 4:36 AM / IP Logged  
Nice one nismo, I forgot about mentioning that, I ALWAYS try to do that first, especially on my cars. You can also go inside the instrument cowling, that works particularly well on E46 BMWs.
Twelvoltz 
Posted: May 08, 2011 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
Nismo542 wrote:
i usually try to just tuck the antenna jusr inside the headliner or attach it behind the a pillar panel. it make for a stealthy install. you can get a roll of the 3m trim tape (thin gray kind) at adavance auto or you can find the same thing packaged differently at lowes at half the price.
1. Please tell me that you inform the vehicle owner that when you install in 'stealth' mode that their operating range is going to be horribly short compared to mounting it as the manufacturer of the system recommends.
2. I would be greatly interested in a brand/make/part number for a double faced tape that works as well as the 3M stuff. I agree it is expensive, but for smooth surface mounting I have found no other tape that works as well.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2011 at 12:38 PM / IP Logged  
I get 150yds+ range from Clifford G4/5 when mounted in instrument nacelle or behind "A" pillar plastic trim provided
a) There's space behind the trim cover.
b) No metal film windscreen.
I agree with your other comments ref. the tape.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic