icon

turn on lights when alarm armed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vtvette 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2011 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I have a 2004 Chevy Avalanche and one feature I really like is when I lock the doors it turns on the parking lights/reverse lights for 30 seconds or so.
I am planning on installing an aftermarket alarm in my '93 Corvette. I've searched and searched but I cannot find where any aftermarket alarms feature this option? Can anyone tell me if the top of the line DEI security systems have this feature?
Thanks,
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2011 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
You would have to add it - you can do it several ways, but the easiest would probably be a DEI pulse timer connect to the lock output of the alarm. When the lock output pulses it can trigger the pulse timer to turn on for 30 seconds. The contacts of the pulse timer can drive the parking lights / reverse lights / head lights / etc.
Kevin Pierson
vtvette 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2011 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
You would have to add it - you can do it several ways, but the easiest would probably be a DEI pulse timer connect to the lock output of the alarm. When the lock output pulses it can trigger the pulse timer to turn on for 30 seconds. The contacts of the pulse timer can drive the parking lights / reverse lights / head lights / etc.
Thanks for the answer that is exactly the info I was looking for.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2011 at 3:13 AM / IP Logged  
Kevin, wouldn't you need at least one extra relay or a pair of diodes, one 3 amp* for the reversing lights and one 3 amp for the side lights.
508d.
BLACK/ white from alarm's lock pulse.
Black to ground.
Red and yellow to constant 12V+, fused at 20amps.
Orange not used.
Brown via diodes, bands (cathodes) away from 508d towards lights and reversing lights.
* 1N54XX diode.
KPierson 
Posted: May 24, 2011 at 5:41 AM / IP Logged  
Since I'm not familiar with the wiring of that vehicle I didn't go in to details of how to hook up the contacts of the pulse timer. You would need to keep all the signals isolated for sure!
Kevin Pierson
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2011 at 6:38 AM / IP Logged  
Howie, me thinks you have a typo error. the 508d is a motion sensor. Maybe you ment a 528t?
When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2011 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
You think right turn on lights when alarm armed? -- posted image. luckily certain things are joined to me permanently
I meant of course 528t.
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

I have connected this type of setup on my 2000 Ford Taurus Wagon and it works, BUT, the diode get very hot. As in untouchable hot when the 528t is triggered with the unlock.   Is this normal for the diode to get this hot?    Have I connected something wrong?    I know I have the correct wire to the back up lights. BLACK/ Pink in the drivers kick panel, as when I cut that wire, no back up lights.

I have connected just a tail light bulb the the brown wire with the diode, grounded the bulb, hit the unlock trigger, and still the diode get hot. 

Red and Yellow to 12 volts constant, Black to ground, BLACK/ White to unlock trigger, and Brown to back up lights (BLACK/ Pink)

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
KPierson 
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
What is the part number for the diode you installed? How much current do the headlights pull? How much current do the reverse lights pull?
You may be better off using two additional relays - one for each set of lights, for the isolation over the diodes.
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 2:52 AM / IP Logged  
X 2 with KP, also if just staying with the diode, use an 2N54xx not 1N4xxx. 2 x rev lights a 21watts =42watts divide by 12 = 3amps +!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic