the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

turn on lights when alarm armed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
smokeman1 
Platinum - Posts: 1,588
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  

The diode is  a 1N5400.  I am  using this for the reverse lights only. As to the current draw, I'll have to look at that later today.   Using an additional relay may be the answer. I'll see what I can find in the relay section as to the smartest way to do it.  I take  it that I will be using the 528 to trigger the additional relay.  Thanks for the direction.

When all else fails, Read the Instructions
Support the12volt.com Make a Donation
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  
If a 5400 is running hot then you definitely need a relay, a smaller 10 amps capacity should be fine such as DEI 8166, I think that's the part number, I prefer to buy them raw, from the UK equivalent of Farnell and diode and wire them up myself, it costs a third as much!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 8:02 AM / IP Logged  
Try Newark, part number 74R1537, IMO SRM-1C-SL-12VDC, PC relay, 10 amps power handling as a SPCO or 12 amps switching, $1 plus a few cents for a diode and some 30mm (1.25") shrink sleeving.
smokeman1 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  

The current draw on the reverse lights is 3.88 amps.  That diode gets into the 170F (77c) degree temp range for the 30 seconds the 528 is activated. 

Should I be going to a 5 amp diode and can I use a 30/40 relay?

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 12, 2011 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
Yes of course although that's an expensive route, that's why I suggested mini relays.
smokeman1 
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Issue resolved with a 6 amp diode. Work great!  Diode only gets warm for a 40 second timed activation.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2011 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  
I found this quite interesting for the following reason.
In Europe (actually everywhere bar North America) we use amber direction indicators front and back. When I do a UK Cat l alarm and add a remote start, it doesn't feed these lights. So I modify using the GWR status output via a relay and a pair of 1N54XX diodes to each white light wire, (those white wires are on separate circuits here).
Now these have a load of 3amps constant, ie 36watts.
Each side adds up to 2 x 21 watts (front and rear) and 10watts (front wing side indicator) = 52 watts but I've never had any problems.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic