icon

car won’t start, viper 5701

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
delta333 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2011 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  

My car won't start after installing a Viper 5701 Alarm with remote start. The alarm is fully functional but when I try to start the car with the remote or key, the starter doesn't even crank. The alarm involves interrupting the starter wire and the wire going into the brain has 12 volts when the key is turned to start but the wire starter output wire is not getting voltage so I believe the brain is not sending the signal. To bypass that temporarily I have unplugged the harness and jumped pin 4 to pin 5 and after doing that the car starts with the key just fine. I did not use pin 2,8, and 9. The car is a 99 Explorer and I'm using a PKALL bypass module and any help or input would be appreciated. 

car won’t start, viper 5701 -- posted image.

car won’t start, viper 5701 -- posted image.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 30, 2011 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Sounds like the internal relay is bad. With no power on the unit there should be 0 ohms between the green starter wire and the violet starter wire. If that connection is open the car won't crank.
Take it back to the place that installed it and have them swap the brain for a new one.
Kevin Pierson
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 4:15 AM / IP Logged  
X 2 with K.P. not uncommon and relates to our comments on the other post ref, end of days for DEI.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 6:58 AM / IP Logged  

X 3 with above, ohm test the Vipers' internal starter relay. 

Some more thoughts...

Is it possible you have H3/4 and H3/5 reversed?

Why isn't H3/9 connected to +12v constant? 

If installed on a 99 Explorer, most wiring guides list a BLACK/ Light Green wire at the ignition switch.  Bulldog lists this wire as IGN2 but DEI lists it as ACC2.  Test this wire to determine which it is, ACC or IGN circuit.  Program the Viper accordingly and connect H3/7 to this BLACK/ Light Green wire.  Also connect H3/2 to +12v constant to power the Flex relay.

Soldering is fun!
delta333 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
I will check my relay, but first I'll solder the RED / black to a 12v constant, because if it powers the starter relay, that would explain why the relay isn't activating.
delta333 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 8:18 PM / IP Logged  
Well i went out and connected H3/2 and H3/9 to +12v constant and can confirm H3/7 is soldered to the BLACK/ Light Green wire, still no luck. i will be checking the relay next. It is possibility the relay as I bought the unit manufacturer refurbished.
delta333 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

Well I opened up the brain and this is what I'm looking at.

[IMG]https://i54.tinypic.com/29biz4o.jpg[/IMG]

When I test where H3/4 and H3/5 connect I get a reading of 0.6 ohms. Does this mean the relay is bad?

[IMG]https://i55.tinypic.com/1zd64q8.jpg[/IMG]

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  

Do you need starter kill / anti-grind?  As a test you could re-connect the explorers cut starter wire and just connect the Viper H3/4 Violet wire to it.  Don't use H3/5.  The key start will still work.  Then try a remote start. 

Has the remote start ever worked?  Is the Neutral Safety wire connected properly, etc? 

I measured some loose 30/40 Amp SPDT relays, Pin 30 to 87A, they measured .1 Ohms.  (Fluke 77) 

Soldering is fun!
delta333 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure what starter kill/anti-grind is, I had thought about doing what you suggest with the starter wire but i wasn't sure what function(s) I would lose by bypassing the internal starter relay. I have not ever gotten the remote start to work or even programmed as when all the harnesses were connected the key wouldn't even start the vehicle. The neutral wire is connected and in the on position but the  neutral safety (-) input wire has no connection made, I believe this is at least part of my problem because when looking at the install guide it says it must be connected to a ground source for the remote start to work. So I will ground that wire and hopefully that will fix it.
delta333 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2011 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
Well unfirtunately after grounding the neutral safety switch there's still no start. I can try your bypass method tomorrow if I still have no luck. Thanks.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic