latched on/off relay not working properly

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
firedemonsic 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2011 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
https://www.the12volt.com/12voltimages/latchonoffsp.gif
Assembled this as the diagram stated to. Verified all wiring then went and installed it in my car to manually toggle the Torque Converter Clutch on and off with a momentary button.
Starts open, and turns on when you push the button. But once it is on it won't turn back off. If you push the button you can hear the relays click each time but it will not toggle off after it has been turned on. What's wrong here?
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 2:00 AM / IP Logged  

It's likely something simple. Can you post a photo of your wired relays as the diagram shows them?

latched on/off relay not working properly -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
firedemonsic 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 2:58 AM / IP Logged  
the12volt wrote:

It's likely something simple. Can you post a photo of your wired relays as the diagram shows them?

Here is a picture. Relay #1 is on the far right in this photo and relay #4 on the far left. I did make one modification and that was to install a toggle switch to bypass the relays and provide constant 12V if needed however I verified this was not the cause by de-soldering all wires going to the switch and the relay cluster still behaved the same way.
It's going to be pretty difficult if not impossible for you trace the connections since a) I only used red and black wire and b) to keep the footprint as small as possible I did not do any splicing and instead opted to solder all spliced wires directly to their associated contacts IE for the momentary switch, instead of the grounding side being spliced into the ground wire, It's soldered directly to contact 86 of relay #2. I also think this may be the reason It's not functioning correctly. I verified all connections 3 times and although everything checks out maybe the contact soldering instead of wire splicing is creating a short since electricity likes to take the path of least resistance?
latched on/off relay not working properly -- posted image.
the12volt 
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 4:48 AM / IP Logged  

Just from a quick peek, it looks like the lead of the diode on 87a of relay #1 is touching 87. That would definitely keep it on. I'll have a harder peek later if that is not the issue.

latched on/off relay not working properly -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  

My new signature may read:  R1 riders have vision like Steve Austin.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
And the first lesson which you will now always remember is:-
Shrink sleeving on diodes, as in all the P's.
Doesn't matter if you use the same two colours, something I would never do, as long as you know it. Mr. I didn't spot it because he now rides a uni-cycle and his eyes have gone funny.
firedemonsic 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
The lead is actually not touching. It's just the angle the photo that makes it look that way.
the12volt 
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
The other thing I noticed is that you do not have a diode across the coil of relay #2. Beyond that, it is difficult to follow each lead in your photo. I know you said you checked the wiring more than once, but I'd go over each connection again and verify each relay is working properly independant of the others.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
If the lead isn't touching but it's close.....
Always think of the worst scenario, especially when exposed to the weather. Mount relays terminals down, this will let gravity help the electromechanical movement AND allow any moisture to escape.
Don't solder, relays might fail.
If anything use a water proof box to IP68 in which to mount the relays.
Thoroughly spray with a moisture retarder as you should do on hood pin switches.
the12volt 
Posted: September 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
My new signature may read:  R1 riders have vision like Steve Austin.

;-)

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic