the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

trunk release disabled by factory alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Nuffstylez 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, the car is a 03 Nissan Maxima.  The alarm is a Viper 5901.  Everything works perfect except the trunk release.  When the car is armed and the factory alarm is armed also, the trunk release doesn't work.  I had this problem on my I35 also and gave up but this installation is for a co-worker who paid me and is very anal.  He doesn't want to unlock the car then pop the trunk.   I've been bustin my brains for the last week trying to figure out how to go about wiring this up.  In the trunk by the release solenoid is a blue and a purple wire that is constant 12v and when the release is activated, goes to ground.  Can I wire a relay in there to bypass the ECU and open the trunk without unlocking. Trust me, I did a lot of searching when I ran into this problem with my I35 and now with this too. Please help, I am stumped.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 07, 2011 at 5:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can do this on either the I35 or the Maxima.
At the SECU above the gas pedal where the small blue low-current trunk release wire is, if you hunt around and test all the wires, you can find the larger high-current wire there as well.
Just make sure you have the factory alarm disarm output from the Viper connected to the car, so it'll disarm the factory alarm when the trunk is opened.
Depending on timing, the factory alarm may still sound briefly when opening the trunk. It really depends on how fast the factory disarm output from the Viper is, as opposed to the trunk release output. But at least you can try.
Also, not sure if you know, but lock/arm and unlock/disarm are available in empty pins at the SECU. You don't need to go into the door.
At the SECU there are three plugs. Go to the plug that's closest to the back of the car.
In the center row of that plug, there are three empty pins toward the rear of the car.
You want the two most-rearward pins out of those three. I always forget which does lock and which does unlock.
NOTE: The empty pins will do doorlocks, but won't trigger the factory up/down windows. You'd have to go into the door for that.
Nuffstylez 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2011 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Chris, thanks so much for all your tips, this time and last time.  What I ended up doing was taking the trunk release from the alarm and reversing the polarity using a relay and running it to the trunk.  Then I used another relay and wired it up with the blue wire from the trunk solenoid.  It's positive when plugged into the solenoid because the other wire on the solenoid is always at 12volts and when you pop the trunk it breaks the connection and the blue wire is supplied with a ground from the SECU, I think that's how it works.  Then wired the relay up so a ground is provided to the ground when the trunk release from the alarm is used.  So now it works without poping the locks, thanks so much Chris for your help.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic