icon

2009 honda accord, remote starter

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snaoum 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

I will be doing a remote start install in a 2009 Honda Accord sedan.  Any tips/advice?  I am thinking of putting in an Avital 4113 one button remote start.  Thinking of using the directed PKALL bypass.  Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

My other choice of remote start I may use is the Audiovox aps901 which I recently put in a 2007 Civic.

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
Both units are good, and similar to install.
I like the Audiovox unit's remotes better, and the LED and valet switch built into the antenna is a nice touch.
The Avital requires you to lay on your back and squint at the onboard LED during programming, and then there's also the programming and control switches to decide where you're going to put them.
But you definitely wouldn't go wrong either way.
Accord doorlock wires are in the door, so if you're doing a transponder-only bypass, you'll need to run wires into the door to disarm the factory alarm, and unlock after remote started.
If you can find a Fortin HONDA-SL-3, it'll probably be a few dollars cheaper than the PKALL and work just as well.....it's cheaper because it just does Honda.
(The PK-ALL would give you the ability to remove it and put it into another car later, like a Ford or Toyota, if that's in your future plans. Otherwise, it's extra money you don't need to spend.)
Where I work, we use the HONDA-SL-3 and run the wires into the door, so we get paid more labor commission.
On the other hand, if you have some money in the budget and you want a cleaner/easier install, consider the FLCAN to go with the APS901C. It plugs data-to-data into the remote starter, and handles locks, tach, brake, and disarm........the entire remote starter installation will all be at the steering column. Really: just your ground, antenna, bundle or wires running up the column, and that's it.
If you do buy an FLCAN, make sure you either have the cable to flash it, or buy from a seller who will flash it with the proper firmware for you.
Also, see if this Accord has automatic headlights, and if the car's driver uses them. If the switch is left on "auto" and the remote starter it started and then times out, the headlights will stay on indefinitely, draining the battery.
At the steering column harness there is a "lights off" wire that will test as ground in the Off position, and then the ground goes away in all other positions.
Connect a "pulse after shutdown" output to the "lights off wire" so the autolamps will go out when the remote starter times out. (GREEN / WHITE on Avital, BLACK/ red on Audiovox.)
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2011 at 10:55 PM / IP Logged  
if you are installing for the first time, i suggest a CAN module that will do door locks, disarm, trunk etc. It will reduce install time.
a fortin evoall will work or idatalink ads-al-ca
https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/downloads.asp?srch=all&term=accord
you will find the second and third links posted very helpful.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
snaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2011 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
I am really leaning towards the Audiovox.  I want the car to remote start, be able to unlock with the RS remote.  Would like the rear defroster turned on.  So I should get the Honda-SL3 for bypass, but what about the locks/disarm and whatnot.  Should I use the CAN-SL2 or FLCAN?
snaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 6:55 AM / IP Logged  
Chris you have PM
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
youre going to have a hard time finding the can-sl2 as its not made anymore. the flcan or EVOALL or idatalink ads-al-ca will all do the same job.
Ted
Compustar Expert
snaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 14, 2011 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Ok so this is what came in the mail.  Audiovox APS901, Honda-SL3 and CAN-SL2.

From what I understand this is all I am going to need beside couple of relays to do the install. 

What is the best way to wire these all up together?  I would like to make this as easy and simple of an install as I can since the weather is getting pretty cold.  Both the Honda-SL3 and the CAN-SL2 have input connections with 12V, Ground, and two Data-Link wires.

If anyone who can give me details on exactly how they recommend I wire all this up to the Audiovox it would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

tedmond 
Posted: December 15, 2011 at 9:34 AM / IP Logged  
you shouldn't need any addition relays for the install. no addition acc/start/ign required.
the only relay you will need is the starter kill if you choose to add one.
make w2w connections short and clean and no issues should occur.
Ted
Compustar Expert
snaoum 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2011 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  

If I recall, im not at home right now but the Honda SL3 and the CAN SL2 both need 12v and ground. Both have yellow ignition wires.  For the CAN SL2 I will only be using the lock and unlock wires and connecting that to the audiovox RS ground before start and ground during crank to do lock and lock.  Both units need GWR correct? I have not used these modules before.

tedmond 
Posted: December 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
the can sl2 will do more than just locks. it allows trunk pop, disarm/rearm etc. just tap off power and ground and gwr.
i used the exact combination on my vehicle. look at the link in my previous posts.
Ted
Compustar Expert
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic