the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2008 cobalt, alarm/remote start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys. I know this has been covered, but after searching and searching I didn't quite find the answers I was looking for... maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough and if thats the case I apologize.
My brother asked me to do his g/f's 08 Cobalt. However, the car is located 4 hrs from me and I will be heading up there to grab his sled and was thinking about doing it there to make things easier... so I won't have my normal resources.
I remember doing multiples of these back at C.City, but looking at the diagrams now, it doesn't seem to be coming back to me at all and I had a few questions/concerns. I will be putting in the Python 4103 (maybe the 1401) and DLPK bypass:
1) I'm assuming this is just like most newer GM's and that the starter wire is not used... and that the drop in the accessory voltage automatically triggers the BCM take-over starting. Is this a safe / correct assumption?
2) According to the DLPK install guide it says to make all normal ignition connections. If my above assumption was right, then that will just be 12v constant, ignition, and accessory... correct?
3) I do remember that pretty much every connection can be made right at the BCM in the pass. side of the center console. (not really a question here...)
4) I don't really plan on using the tach signal from the DLPK, but since it really isn't required because of the BCM take-over, is the DLPK tach output sufficient for the over-rev protection or do I need to hard line it to the injector / coil?
5) What is the better parking light wire to use... the + or the -? I usually prefer - since that way it is only driving a relay... but does it need to be isolated with a relay; or am I just better off going with the + wire?
6) With the DLPK, will that integrate both the immobilizer and Passkey protection or will I still need to do the old relay and resistor setup? Going by the DLPK wiring it seems like it takes care of both...
Thanks in advance for the help. The installation won't be happening for another 2 weeks, but I wanted to get all the insight I could now since I won't have it then... and really don't feel like getting it all put in only to find something doesn't work.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jdbtsi 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
I just did this car over the weekend so I'll help where I can.
1) Yes.
2) I can't comment on the use of the DLPK as I used a idatalink ADS-AL CA after talking with the local install shop. I bought an XK09 (fancy version of DLPK I think) and they said they have some trouble with those and some of the cars they use them in come back a couple times a year to get the module reprogrammed. After the simplicity of the ADS-AL I'd certainly recommend using it if you can but I can't badmouth the DLPK as I've never used it. I did not need a relay to hook up the idatalink module as it looks like you will with the DLPK. Everything worked great in D2D mode when hooked up to a viper 5501 and I didn't have to wire in a foot brake status wire either.
3) Most of them yes just make sure the ign and acc wires are hooked up at the ignition harness.
4) Can't help you here.
5) I used the - wire at the BCM and it worked just fine.
6) I would assume it would do both but you know what happens when you assume...
Hope this helps a little.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  
I thought the ignition wires could also be tagged at the BCM??? When I was searching, I did find that one really in depth write-up with all teh nice pics but it was for an 05. Are the 05 and 08's the same? I'll look into the ADS-AL CA. Did you have to load any firmware or is it pre-loaded from the factory?
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jdbtsi 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
As far as the ignition and acc wires I was referring to this.
You may be able to find the wires and tap them elsewhere but I wasn't going to chance it I guess.
Ths ADS-AL CA I was told needed to be loaded with the correct firmware before install or it was useless. The guy at the local shop just did it for me before I bought it. I think there are places on the web you can get one and have it programmed for your specific vehicle before they send it out for you.
offroadzj 
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
Thats good to know about the ignition wires. I will probably just go to the switch to play it safe.
As far as the ADS goes, I may look into picking up the programmer since I am doing a few starters this year, and the ADS modules could have come in handy. So to make things easier I may just pick up the programmer and then I don't have to worry about programming it.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 5:26 PM / IP Logged  
Well this is actually going to work out pretty good. i completely forgot but a week or so ago I ordered an ADS-ALSL-GM for a 03 Hummer and the guy backed out. So now I have this bypass with no vehicle to go in... and hey, according to the idatalink site this will work perfectly in an 08 Cobalt.
So this may actually turn out to be not that bad. I'll probably get as much prepped as possible at home and then bring everything I can up there for the install... and hopefully it will all go smoothly.
Insight / opinions / tips are still appreciated!
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Posted: December 12, 2011 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
Another quick question. Looking at the idatalink install guide, it does not show a parking light connection from the starter or the module. I'm assuming the lights come on automatically when remote starter, but will they flash with lock / unlock or do I have to still make the parking light connection???
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
jdbtsi 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2011 at 8:05 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure if they would flash or not without making the parking light connection. I just made the connection (-) assuming they wouldn't.
offroadzj 
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Well I did this car a while ago but I could not for the life of me get the bypass to program. Because I was in a rush I had to leave it unfinished, but it is coming back tomorrow for me to hopefully finish up. So I need some help one what would not allow the bypass to program. I'm going to recheck connections and firmware, but I'm 99% sure they are both good.
Ted, I remember in a previous thread you mentioned something about needing to connect the starter input to the ADS bypass. Is this just a temporary connection for programming or does it need to be connected solid? And what do I connect it to. If it is just a temporary connection then can I just jumper it during programming and then tape it up and out of the way.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2012 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  

Bring your ADS USB cable with you and re-flash the ADS ALSL GM with the ADS ALSL GM2 firmware.  Do a factory reset, select the install

mode and then program to the Cobalt ( doing a full 3 second wait between key positions ). 

The module needs to see Ignition and Accessory from the vehicle and R/S for programming purposes and to know when to start the

engine ( ACC drops while Ignintion stays while GWR is true ).

Did a 2011 Malibu recently with the GM2 firmware.  The wiring, even the colors, looks identical.

2008 cobalt, alarm/remote start -- posted image.

Soldering is fun!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic