the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5901, 2005 montana sv6

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,791
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

There is only one direct connection from the iDatalink bypass module to the van.  That is the

Orange wire going to the OBD2 connector.

The Pink Ignition wire can be connected to the Vipers H3/1 Pink wire, that continues to the van's

Ignition wire in the ignition harness.

The PURPLE / White Tach wire is a bypass module output wire that connects to the Vipers Violet/White

Tach Input wire.  No need to connect any Tach wire directly to the van.

The Yellow/Black and Yellow/Red Status wires are outputs also and connect to the Vipers corresponding

wires.

Remember to set the iDatalink bypass modules Installation Mode to two blinks ( Standard W2W ) and then follow the steps to program to the van.

Soldering is fun!
black_bird94 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2012 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  

that's great, thanks a lot Kreg. 

I have another question. When I took apart the 5901 from my cavalier which was pro installed, they had H1/2 12v input, H3/2 flex relay input, H3/6 ignition 1 input, H3/9 accessory/starter relay input all spliced to one lead wire tapping into a 12V constant at the ign harness. 

Is this a proper method of getting a 12V constant? I have an amp kit Im not using which I can use to power everything if that would be better.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2012 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
that technically is not wrong or right. All 4 wires go to constant 12v (which is required). It all comes down to preference of the installer.
Personally if i have 4 constants i will cut 3 and join them to a single wire. That wire will then go to a constant 12v. It just makes the install look a tad more "clean" from my end.
You wont need the amp kit or get power from the battery.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
black_bird94 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet, thanks tedmond.  So since I will be connecting the idata and 5901's door status' together, I won't need to connect any diodes either.  The ob2 connection will handle of these functions?
black_bird94 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

Also, I guess I won't need to connect sliding door inputs from the module to the viper since I dont have power sliding doors?

kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2012 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
Correct, the iDatalink's connection to the ODB2 J1850 Data will allow it to control the
locks, alarm & trunk and from that data it will generate and supply the Viper the door &
trunk status along with a nice Tach signal.  If your van had power sliding doors it would
control them also.
Soldering is fun!
black_bird94 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2012 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hopefully, this is my last questions.  Do I have to fuse the red power wire from the idatalink module going to the viper? 
kreg357 
Posted: February 12, 2012 at 4:47 AM / IP Logged  
No.   I usually just add it to one of the R/S's fused +12V Red input wires ( after the fuse ).  Current draw is minimal.
Soldering is fun!
black_bird94 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2012 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
I really appreciate all the help I'm getting with my install and alSo the quick responces. Regarding using the horn honk output, do I need to use a relay or can.I just connect it to the car.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
direct connection, no relay required.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic