the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

delay accessory for cold starts

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 7:36 AM / IP Logged  
personally, i sand down the soldered on terminal as well. only because some ship with a coating so just to be safe, i give it quick sanding. Sometimes i dont use factory bolts. Depending on the vehicle (some may disagree) my ground i tap into the bare metal dash bar support. It's welded to the frame so i know it's a solid ground. I drill a hold and put a machine bolt through and tighten it good. Never had an issued with a car returning.
I do this most of the times,but there are vehicles where majority of the wires are at the kick panel; the ground will be run with others, just for a cleaner install, and easy of access. when you scrape the paint, make sure it goes to bare metal, not just a light scuff.
Ted
2nd Year Tier 1 Medical School
Still installing as a hobby...pays for groceries
Compustar Expert
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 9:05 AM / IP Logged  
I have used the bare dash supports in the past, but you have to be careful when doing so. Most are welded, but some are bolted through a rubber washer to allow some movement (my ram was like this) so you don't get a solid ground. But that is rare so you are usually ok.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
I just checked again, my sequence is definitely as follows:-
Immediately Indicators (lights)
1 sec., 2 clicks.
2 secs., ignition.
3 secs., start.
1 second after start and run, ACC.
Just proves how much more sophisticated my 10 year old kludged together AMERICAN designed and made Clifford was against the opposition and I have the option of ign or RPM locking.
Also to answer someone else's post in the relay section, I have 20 minutes not 10 of RAP which I can program off if desired and no RAP after.
ngooo 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  

so i hook up the voltmeter to the battery.  Activate the R/S, several attempts, drops to 10.1 volts.  Get in the van, turn on AC unit, take more readings, drops to 9.5 volts.  Turn on heated seats, drops to 8.5 volts.  i can only imagine how low it dropped when i had the navi and dvd hooked up on accessory 2.

Sounds like i need an optima yellow?  Or is there anything other test i should do before i change the battery?

As for the ground, i put the wires in a ring terminal, found a bare metal dash support bar with holes, so i did like Tedmond said and put a machine bolt/nut.

offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
The ground will be better off this way anyways, but I would have to say you are looking at a bad battery. Optimas are excellent batteries but you don't HAVE to go with that one. Just don't get another Honda factory battery.. haha.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
tedmond 
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
any aftermarket brand battery will work. an optima is more of a high end battery, but thats up to you to decide.
a battery from walmart, sears, canadian tire, napa will do. oem batteries are undersized.
Ted
Compustar Expert
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  
Undersized? I changed a Mopar battery from a 2.8L Voyager DIESEL the other week, 380CCA couldn't believe the battery had lasted this long, 5volts on crank!
I replaced it with a 550CCA.
All OEM batteries, just like OEM alternators are made "just good enough".
tedmond 
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 7:00 AM / IP Logged  
in my vehicle i believe its undersized. its probably just good enough, but you would be shocked by the battery tray size, vs. the batt size itself.
Ted
Compustar Expert
opelap 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

If it is not your ground or battery, my 951 I just installed in an Acura has an option to keep ACC off during wait to start. Freaked me out because I had inadvertently turned that option on and I got no accessories the first time I tried to remote start until after it had started.

Your unit may have this option as well. This should leave all ACC power off until the car is started.

offroadzj 
Posted: January 18, 2012 at 10:23 AM / IP Logged  
We have already determined that it is the battery. A voltage drop down to 9._ Volts during start is a rather large drop. One that the battery should not do no matter what the accessory state is during remote start. We have also already confirmed that the ACC is dropping during crank...
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic