the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2000 chrysler town and country

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  
To be 100% honest, I rarely ever put the starter kill relay in. If a thief has gotten that far into your car, there is a good chance that they have already bypasses the starter kill relay. Very few newer cars can be stolen with the old screwdriver method and require being "hotwired". This means that the thief is already under your dash and will simply bypass the relay in about .5 seconds. To me, this extra .5 seconds it might take them is not worth the risk of me getting stranded somewhere if that relay decides to crap out.
Thats just my personal opinion.. I'm sure everyone feels differently about it.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
antman1 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have found that in the box it has these 2 things. If I don't do the Starter kill option the relay would be available to use for the accessory option you mentioned. Here is a page I forgot to scan and also the pic of the 2 things with the alarm as well.
2000 chrysler town and country - Page 2 -- posted image.
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, that page verifies that you do not need that Red (+) Oil Sensor / alternator connection wire as long as you connect the tach.
Yes you will be able to use the relay from the starter kill, but not the harness it comes with (unless you re-pin it). But you can crimp a couple connectors onto the wires and connect directly to the relay itself.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
antman1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2012 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  
ok. getting a little confused. I know I can do most my prep outside the car and was going to do that. Feeling like you said "a bit over my head". lol. I have done Xbox modifications and dual tsop mods and soldered some fine wires to some pretty tight spots. But I think the layout of this is confusing. I can connect a wire to a wire and I can run the wires were they go through the car. I have been installing radios since I was 9 and I am 31 now. lol. I know, my mom was weird and I would hook up radios for her while we were driving down the road and I used to install systems for my friends. I installed a remote start in an oldsmobile I had and it was a used Avital remote start but I have a complete blank on this. Thank you for all your help.
antman1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2012 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
so far so good. Been studying and making sure I got everything connected before I install in the van. I believe I have everything prepped now for the install in the 2000 town and country. I have a few questions though. does this look right for how I wired the resistor inline.
I noticed I do have automatic lights that turn on and off by themselves when you have it selected on the switch. Will this be a problem?
Also on the DEI 451m you said Violet/Black - Chassis ground but it shows a Violet wire and a Violet/Black wire connected to a fuse and going to 1 purple wire. see pic below. How should I correct that?
and for the starter kill relay that came with the alarm it had yellow, orange and 2 green wires. I connected the orange wire to the orange wire from the alarm and I am thinking the yellow wire will go to constant 12v and the green wires will go to each side of the cut ignition wire. Does this sound correct?
And last I was planning of installing the LED were my headlight and dimmer switch are in the pic below. Does that seem like a good spot? Also I plan to install the siren in the spot in the pic below it is on the left side under the hood. Do these spots look good?
Thank you again.
antman1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2012 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  
quick correction. I meant Yellow wire on starter kill relay being I! gnition (+) (Pink from main harness). Not 12v Constant.
antman1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2012 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  
can anyone confirm those things? Was going to test connections and try to get this done today.
antman1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2012 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
I have everything prepped. I took all the ground wires (came to 5 total) and crimped them into a connector to screw into the chassis and soldered it to make sure its good.
Since both Blue/Black and GREEN/ Black go to the GREEN / WHITE I connected them together after the 2 resistors towards the vehicle.   
I am guessing the BLACK/ White (Dome Supervisor) wire does not need to be connected.
I still am not sure were I want to install the LED for this. I am open to ideas from anyone on this.
And hopefully the Autolights wont be an issue. The switch lets you turn the auto feature off.
As far as the violet and violet/black wire going to the fuse together and then going to the 1 violet/black wire I grounded it from the DEI 451M like described.
I am still up in the air about installing the starter kill relay. I have it prepped but not sure about using it. Its a valid point about it failing. What are everyone elses thoughts on installing this.
Anyone have any pics of installs they have done on Grand Caravans or Town and Country vans and stuff.
offroadzj 
Posted: February 18, 2012 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
I responded to your pm, but it looks like you got it figured out in regards to the blue/black and GREEN/ black having the resistors before the 2 wires come together. The 451m (arm/disarm) must go to the GREEN/ black and blue/black between the resistors and the brain (like you show in the above diagram).
You shouldn't need to connect the domelight supervision.
If you have autolights you NEED to connect the headlights using the Directech document 1080. I don't have it but hopefully someone can post it up here.
The starter kill is up to you. I stand by my beliefs in it being useless, but everyone has their own views.
The only other tip I have is if you have an airbag under the knee bolster then be very careful with it. If you unplug it, DO NOT turn the ignition on while it is unplugged.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
antman1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome Thank you a lot.   It looks like I have everything ready except the Autolights wire. All I gotta do is mount the LED, Antenna, the Siren and hoodpin I got then run the wires through the firewall and wire/mount this prepped alarm under the dash.
I also used Quick connect on some of the connections. They have always worked good for my radio installs for clean installs. I soldered the smaller gauge wires. Here are the exact Quick connects I have.
Do those look like they will be good for this?
Hopefully someone can post the Directech document 1080 and I can finish this up.
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic